Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
NormC
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Norm C

Restart host that's hosting an Instant Recovery?

Post by NormC »

Hello and thanks in advance for your help.

We've had an issue that's required us to spin up our Exchange server in Instant Recovery. It's working which is great. The datastore is running from my VBR server, and the resources are running on one of my ESXi hosts. The ESXi host is having some issues and lost connection to VCenter. We tried restarting management agents, but it's stuck at "stopping".

If I shut down the VM that's running in Instant Recovery, is it safe to restart the ESXi host? With the management agents not running I'm in a bad situation, unable to do pretty much anything with it.

My hope/plan was to shut down the VM server and then reboot the ESXi host. Hopefully once the ESXi is back online the Instant Recovery instance can be restarted.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Norm
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Restart host that's hosting an Instant Recovery?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Yes, per default an ESX server reconnects the (Veeam) datastores after reboot. So your plan sounds good. I also just tried it out with V11a and vSphere 7.0U2.

Best regards,
Hannes
NormC
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Norm C

Re: Restart host that's hosting an Instant Recovery?

Post by NormC »

Hannes,

Thank you very much for your reply. It's very reassuring to know this plan would work.

Fortunately, it looks like I won't actually need to try this. I logged in to VCenter this morning to find that the management agents on that host had finally restarted overnight! The host reconnected to VCenter 10 hours after we restarted the management agents.

Best,
Norm