Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
apover
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: ApoVer

Backup is slow

Post by apover »

Hello,

we have 1 Veeam Backup Enterprise Edition with 6 CPU licensed on a Windows Server 2012 R2. We backup from 3 ESXi hosts, about 20 TB of data. Our destination is an ISCSi NAS storage from Synology.

Our problem now is that since a server restart we did last week our read/write times for the backup jobs has plummeted.Which means the jobs start normally (normal speed) and slows down over time. Our backups need about 4 days, before the restart it was about 5-7 hours.

We checked the backups jobs statistics and there it one time says the bottleneck is the target and for another job it´s the source. We checked the performance in the task manager and SQL Server ist using more than 70 % of the total memory.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup is slow

Post by foggy »

I recommend opening a case to compare the slow job runs with the normal ones before to see which operations started to take longer. Logs will tell and our engineers could also verify whether the memory utilization is expected or not. Was a server restart the only change since the normal job runs? Do you mean the backup server restart or the NAS itself?
CitySAV
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Derner

Post by CitySAV »

I have the same issue. I had a case open for 3 months working with Tear 2 & 3 and they have on idea my case number is: 04909092.

We have tried my registry settings non of them helped. I'm backing up a 40 TB system it will take about 8 days or so
One thing they did set on my job.
1. Edit the job
2. Select Storage
3. Select Advance
4. Select Storage tab
5. Under Storage optimization "Local Target (Large blocks)

We was not getting a backup until we set this
It starts out as 200 to 300 MB/s and after 8 to 10 hours to goes down to 30 to 40 MB/s
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Michael, please continue working investigating with the support. Btw, what are the bottleneck stats for the affected jobs in your case, and could you please describe the setup in a bit more detail? Thanks!
gorka
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Gorka Izquierdo Bizkarrondo

Post by gorka »

Hi,
I had this problem on two clients with backups larger than 2TB. It all started when I updated the synology DSM (I think 6.2.0, more or less). In the end I had to downgrade the firmware to version 6.1.7 to be able to recover some speed in the backups, but the solution is to use QNAP if you want to use NAS devices or acquire Dell DataDomain or HPE StoreOnce
Regards!