Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SunkistDavid
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: David

Please block your forums from being crawled

Post by SunkistDavid »

This was brought to my attention: fruitforcash.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9945&start=15Cached

it shows my 2501 post in the forum when searching google for my name. I log in with an alias but this web crawler showed my alias and real name.

Please block web crawlers from accessing your forums.

Thanks,
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Re: Please block your forums from being crawled

Post by Sethbartlett »

I don't have any power of this, but blocking web crawlers would typically not be a good thing to do as sometimes google searching is easier and gives "Veeam" more hits on Google. Why not go into "User Control Panel" on the top left and click "Profile" and change what it shows for your Full Name?
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

If we block Google crawlers, people will never find out about Veeam. It's almost like removing your Pizza business from the Yellow Pages :D
SunkistDavid
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: David

Post by SunkistDavid »

Just your forums. I understand the rest of your site and your forums should only be assessible by those registered. We are posting information about our environments, yes information redacted, but every bit of information for a hacker helps them.
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

That is why Anton Gostev deletes a lot of posts and forces people to create a ticket :)
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Ditto. Just one of many reasons why technical issues must go to the technical support. This is not a support forum to start with (as explained when you click New Topic). It's your choice what to post here, and we are fine if you want to post issues (as long as support case ID is included) ;) but you should realize that this is an open forum - it's not just for Veeam customers.

Besides, not sure how not having the context indexed in Google increases security if anyone can open the forum, and find everything he needs using the built-in forum search instead...
cparker4486
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris

Post by cparker4486 »

I disagree. You need to be aware of what you post on the internet and nothing you post here about your environment should be a security risk (because it should go without saying that you are keeping that information off the public internet).
-- Chris
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

This forum is public, it can be browsed without signup. Also, the fact that you have to sign up for something doesn't mean it's not the "public internet". Any person on the Internet is free to sign up to this forum, including the "hackers".