Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Marco Sorrentino

Oracle embedded database

Post by mamosorre84 »

Hi all,

we have a customer with an embedded Oracle 19c Standard Edition db installed on a Windows Server 2019 VM.

How can I backup it using an official Veeam application consistent method?

Their DBA sayd we cannot access the DB from the OS, so I eliminate the standard application aware process..

I'm not sure I can use Veeam Oracle RMAN Plugin either..what do you think?

Thanks

Marco
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Oracle embedded database

Post by PetrM »

Hi Marco,

What did DBA mean by saying that we cannot access database from the OS? If Oracle OS authentication is disabled, you can use password file authentication with AAIP. For example, at the Oracle processing settings step (Guest processing - Applications - select Oracle server - Edit - Oracle), you can specify a database user having SYSDBA privileges, for example SYS. You can find more information on this page.

Speaking about RMAN plug-in on Windows, the Oracle Home user must be a member of the ORA_DBA group and the OS authentication must be enabled. Please refer to this page for more information.

Thanks!
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Marco Sorrentino

Post by mamosorre84 »

Hi Petr,

Oracle embedded is a specific license that "limit" the DB connections and Oracle tools usage.

You can find more info searching "Oracle ESL".

Thanks

Marco S.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Marco,

We didn't test the scenario with Embedded license and cannot say that it's supported officially. Technically, it depends on what sort of restrictions does this license place. If external connects are not allowed at all, Veeam will not be able to collect auxiliary data about database during backup. On the other hand, I assume that DBA can connect to this DB via SQL*Plus in order to run some basic queries? Furthermore, I believe that RMAN backup can be possible. At least, I didn't find any information that it's prohibited with Embedded license so far.

I'd recommend to test both approaches: image-level backup and RMAN plug-in and let us know how it goes.

Thanks!