Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
M4Biz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

How test backups offline in a LAb enviroment

Post by M4Biz »

Hi.
I'd like, for testing purpose , retrieve the most recent backup file of a whole WM from production network and test it in a, separate, Lab environment.
For this purpose, I've installed in the Lab enviroment:
  • An ESXi host
  • a Veeam backup and replication server running on a Windows 10 PC
  • a NAS server on the same subnet
I'd like copy the backup files from from the backup repository in the production network to the NAS server in the LAB enviroment that is configures as a backup repository.
I don't know wich is the best and much reliable way to do this.
Any idea?
Thanks in advance.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: How test backups offline in a LAb enviroment

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Why not using Veeam SureBackup? It helps you to verify recovery in a isolated network automatically.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

If you don‘t have the license, you could do a manual recovery.
Copy the backups with a copy job to the lab nas, import them in to the lab veeam server and follow this guide:

Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
M4Biz
Enthusiast

Post by M4Biz »

Hi Mildur.
Thansk for you reply.
Let's see if I've understood correctly
1) First, I create a backup copy job that save backups on the NAS 1 in the production environment.
2) Then I manually copy on an external USB drive to transfer the backup from the NAS 1 to the NAS 2 in the offsite Lab enviroment.
Obviously I must have in the offsite LAB environment a working copy o Veeam B&R (and for this purpose a Veeam Community Edition free, is suffient ?)

And if all it's right why I need Backup Copy Job and I can't simply copy a backup file from NAS 1 to NAS 2?
I hope I was clear.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

1) First, I create a backup copy job that save backups on the NAS 1 in the production environment.
The first Job is called „Backup Job“. Or do you have another storage where you put the backups with a backup job and then you want todo a backup copy Job to NAS1.
2) Then I manually copy on an external USB drive to transfer the backup from the NAS 1 to the NAS 2 in the offsite Lab enviroment.
Why copying it manually? You could use a copy Job with Veeam. Then you will always have the newest restore points on the NAS2. Or is this testing a one time thing?
I don‘t see the advantage of an isolated test environment for only testing if backups will boot in a DR scenario.
Would that be my environment, without a paid license, I would start all vms with a few clicks in a instant vm recovery session connected to a isolated vswitch. Your approach will require a lot more manual intervention.
Obviously I must have in the offsite LAB environment a working copy o Veeam B&R (and for this purpose a Veeam Community Edition free, is suffient ?)
With the community edition, you can use the manual verification link from my first post. But If this backups, you want to test, are customer vms (Third Party data), you are forbidden to use the community edition. You should have a installed license (rental, if it‘s in your datacenter).
M4Biz
Enthusiast

Post by M4Biz »

I would start all vms with a few clicks in a instant vm recovery session connected to a isolated vswitch
Hi what exactly mean : isolated vswitch.
Is it a vswitch defined on the production's ESXi host?
May you better explain?
The final purpose is to be shure that the backups are fully working.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

An isolated switch is a vswitch on the esxi host without any connected uplink adapter.
Then you start the vms you want to test in a instant vm recovery session and connect it to this switch. No need to copy any backup files to another hardware.

When you have configured the isolated vswitch, follow this guide:

If you have a veeam Enterprise License (or VUL), then use SureBackup Jobs:
M4Biz
Enthusiast

Post by M4Biz »

Ok.
I'll try it.