Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Symjett
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Simon Johansson

Multiple full backups in backup copy job

Post by Symjett »

Hi

We have a backup copy job with GFS configured. When I looked under "Disk" and properties on the backup copy backup files, I noticed something strange. As we have GFS configured, there are full backups marked with "W, M, Y" and so on. But there are also two full backups that are marked with "R". R means a full backup for a chain or an active full backup.

How can there be two when the backup copy job uses the retention policy forever forward incremental? How do I know which full backup is connected to the incrementals?

best regards, Simon Johansson
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Multiple full backups in backup copy job

Post by Mildur »

With Veeam V11, the backup copy isn‘t Forever Forward Incremental anymore.
With the update, veeam has changed the backup method to Forward Incremental, when GFS is enabled.

See page 7 in the Whats New Document:
https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_11_0 ... new_wn.pdf
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Symjett
Influencer

Post by Symjett »

Hi Mildur

The installed version is v10 though.

But again, my question is how you can know which full backup is connected to the incrementals? There are two "R" full backups.

/ Simon
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Ok, thanks for that information.
You can take a look at the date of the restore point. The correft vbk should be right before the first incremental. I don‘t know another to way to check that in the GUI. I don‘t think, the chain is marked in the gui with vbk and vib.

If it‘s a simple backup repository, I would move one of the vbks out of the backup repository folder, rescan the repo and check if the moved out backup file has any dependence on the other backup files (in the backup properties). After the check, you can move the vbk back to the folder and rescan it again.

There could be a method to check this in powershell, but I need to try that by myself.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Symjett
Influencer

Post by Symjett »

Okay thanks Mildur.
I though there was a simple way to see this but if you cannot do it in powershell then moving the full backup file and rescanning the repository is fine enough!

/ Simon