Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
yousra.mu
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Yousra Muhammed

how to archive to the object storage

Post by yousra.mu »

Hi,

I have an issue, I created a scale-out repository the performance tier is my local storage & the capacity tier is object storage I need the right approach to use the object storage because we are using the object storage for archiving purposes so we will attend to delete the backup files from the performance tier & keep one copy in the object storage this is our business case but after copying the backup files in the object storage I tried to delete files from the performance tier but I found that our backup files in the object storage were deleted too.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1407 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: how to archive to the object storage

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Scale out backup repository is working differently.

There are Copy and Move mode.

Copy mode will basically replicate what you have on the performance tier. Backups deleted on one side will be deleting backups on the other side. You could call this approach "Storage Replication".
Move mode means that older backups are offloaded to capacity tier and then removed from the performance tier. This is as well called "Storage Tiering" in the industry.

What I would say is that both modes are incremental forever and do not store multiple fulls.
So I think you do not need much more space on the object storage when you would use copy mode.

Potentially you can achive what you want to do with Backup 2 Tape Jobs that use something like AWS Gateway Appliance VTLs to store the full backups at specific point in times in the cloud. This said it is usually copared with the SOBR copy mode much more costly as you have to store (temporary) multiple fulls (at least 2).
As well you would need much more bandwidth to upload the fulls (instead of Incremental forever with SOBR copy mode).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

You should use the move policy instead of copy one (which seems to be currently in place). This way after defined period of time backup files will be moved from local to object storage leaving behind only tiny metadata.

I recommend you checking corresponding section of our User Guide to get better understanding of how Capacity Tier policies work.

Thanks!
yousra.mu
Novice

Post by yousra.mu »

Thanks a lot
yousra.mu
Novice

Post by yousra.mu »

I'm already used the move option "move backups to object storage as they age out of the operational restore window".
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Good. Then your Performance Tier will be freed up automatically as backups are moved to Capacity Tier.