Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
brucquat
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Backup Server hostname 18 characters

Post by brucquat »

Hi,
I am installing Veeam V11 backup server in a machine has 18 characters. Obviously the NetBios Name is limited to 15 characters.
At the end of the setup I got an error message "Unable to connect to SQL Server". The SQL Server name is limited to the first 15 characters of the hostname.
Is there a limitation of 15 characters in the hostname of the backup server?
Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup Server hostname 18 characters

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Could you please share a support case ID? It's better to determine the root cause of the error based on debug logs analysis. So far, it's not clear how it is related to the hostname length.

Thanks!
brucquat
Enthusiast

Post by brucquat »

The issue was due to the following reason:
The Windows user, installing the VBR package, was member of a domain group being part of the local administrator group (on the machine where VBR is installed).
After explicitly putting the user to the local administrator group, the installation succeeded.

So, it is strange to me that we need to put the user in the local administrator group (the AD group, where the user is member, was not sufficient).
Is it an expected this behavior?
Thanks.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

@brucquat
Basically, as it's outlined on this page, the only requirement for the account is that it must have the local Administrator permissions on the server. I believe it would be best to let our support team to analyze your specific case, probably there would be some tricky details that remain out of sight now as we don't have access to your log files and infrastructure. Also, don't forget to share a support case ID with us.

Thanks!
brucquat
Enthusiast

Post by brucquat » 1 person likes this post

Hi, thanks for the answer. Sorry but I will not open a case as adding explicitly the user works.