Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
hla123
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Henrik Larsson

iSCSI initiator within VM in Hyper-V

Post by hla123 »

Hi, it there any support for backup of VHDs thats attached with iSCSI initiator within the VM. I have seen support for this when using Veeam for VMware. How could we otherwise solve this? We must have a physical mapping to our SQL data drive since we are using Hardware Snapshot of SQL in our SAN.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: iSCSI initiator within VM in Hyper-V

Post by Gostev »

Hi Henrik - actually, you are mistaken - our VMware offering had never supported volumes mounted via in-guest iSCSI initiator. Same stands for our Hyper-V offering, this is not supported unfortunately. For such configurations, you need to be using some legacy agent-based backup solution (solution that installs backup agent in each protected server). Thanks.
hla123
Influencer
Full Name: Henrik Larsson

Post by hla123 »

Hi, you are correct. Im was thinking of some other product. Thanks for your reply!

BR
jmortimer
Novice
Full Name: Jeremy Mortimer

[MERGED] How to backup internal to VM Lun

Post by jmortimer »

Case # 00512314

I have built a new VM; The VM will be used to run SQL and so I want to create an internal (to VM) iscsi connection to a LUN (volume) on our SAN. The objective is to dedicate network connections to this VM to increase (control) performance rather than using pass through disks. Our SAN / Server has 1GB network connections.

The issue I have is Veeam cannot backup internally connected Luns (because it can't see them?).

How have others solved the issue of backing up internal Luns?

We are using Hyper-v.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Jeremy, using regular virtual disk is the only option to backup this data using VM-image backup solutions.