Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mistrym
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Manoj Mistry

Relocating replication target to different subnet

Post by mistrym »

Hi Guys,

I have an ESX server (registered into VMCeneter by its IP address) as a traget for replication job. Now, after succesfully testing of replication jobs, i want to relocate this ESX traget server to DR site and hence i will be changing its IP address to match the DR site subnet scheme.

Will my replication work after changing ip address of the target server? Can i change some settings to make it work?

VSphere version 4.1
Veeam version 6

Thanks for your support.

Manoj.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Relocating replication target to different subnet

Post by Gostev »

Hi Manoj, no - your replication will break... any application would "break" in this scenario. Adding server to applications by IP address is not recommended, you should always use DNS name instead. You will need to re-add the host to Veeam, and re-create the replication job here - however, you can avoid full sync by using replica mapping functionality, and reusing existing replica VMs. Thanks!
mistrym
Novice

Post by mistrym »

Hi Gostev,

Thanks for reply. I was having doubt about it.

Can you please guide me to related documentation for replica mapping? I can see you have mentioned 'replica mapping' quite often in forum answers but i could not find any documentation for it.

Manoj.
mistrym
Novice

Post by mistrym »

Sorry, I think i figured it out..for new replication job i need to select 'Low connection bandwidth' option. This gives me option of seeding from existing replicas..

Manoj.