Management reporting and documentation
skonvols2k
Novice
Liked: never

Feature Request

Post by skonvols2k »

Hi,
referring to case 01859786, I have a feature Request regarding Veeam One Reporter, in particular the report "Protected VM":

Right now VMs are considered protected when backed up by one of the following jobs: Backup, Replication or Backup Copy. In my case they are backed up by SAN Rescan job (Netapp Snapshot used as primary destination) and that cause the VMs are erroneously reported as unprotected.

I need to produce information for audit and compliance records and right now, according to this report, I have an 100% of unprotected VMs, it's possible to add this feature?

Thanks
Kindly Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Feature Request

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

Can you please clarify what do you mean protected by a SAN recsan job? Do you configure this job in NetApp? Protected VMs report only shows VMs that you have backups for, and creating SAN snapshot doesn't product backup files that you can send to the offsite location/store on 3rd party media.

Thanks!
skonvols2k
Novice

Post by skonvols2k »

Hi,
Yes, San rescan job is how support on indicated case calls a job that has primary and only destination a NetApp snapshot.

This is what Dimitriy E. wrote to me in last update:
"Got an update. The devs say that possibly these new types will be added, but later. May I suggest you go to the forum and make a feature request regarding those reports?"

This is why i opened this post.
Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, actually I meant to say that how is this job configured in your infrastructure? Is it a regular backup job using SAN snapshots for retrieving VMs data? If this is the case, then this is a bug in report and not a FR :)
Lutz
Novice
Full Name: Lutz Schneider

Post by Lutz »

i just have the same problem. VMs that are backed up via a backup job based on netapp storage snapshot are not listed in the Protected VMs report. Is there an update or news?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Lutz,
Are those VMs backed up by Veeam backup jobs?
What product version are you at?
Thanks!
Lutz
Novice

Post by Lutz »

Hey,
yes, the VM´s are backed up via VEEAM backup jobs.
Currently we are at Veeam B&R 9.5 U2 and Veeam One 9.5 Version 9.5.0.3254
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hmm, thus that is a bug.
I would recommend to install Update 3. Not 100% sure if that bug was fixed there, but most likely.
Thanks!
Lutz
Novice

Post by Lutz »

Hey Nikita,

yesterday i updated to VEEAM One 9.5 and VEEAM B&R 9.5 to current U3 Version.
Report is still not working.
Report "Protected VM´s" reports only VM´s as proteted wihich are backed up via backup job based on imaged level backup. VM´s which are backed up via backup job where backup is based on Netapp integration and PrimaryStorageSnapshot are not reported as protected.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Lutz,

If you're running storage snapshots only, then these VMs are indeed not accounted in the Protected VMs report, since they are not "protected" per se. Please take a look at this post for clarifications.

It seems like we should create a separate report that looks at storage snapshot jobs only.

Thanks!
Lutz
Novice

Post by Lutz »

Hi Vitaliy,

for compliance reasons, we need such a report. Is there the possibility to build it for customers or is this really a feature request.

In our enviroment we use PrimaryStorageSnapshots and are replicating them the a secondary location, so from my point of view have a backup ;-).

Kindly regrads
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

That's a FR :), as Veeam ONE currently does not collect data about storage snapshots orchestrated by B&R. What data do you need to be displayed there? Backup type, VMs list, what else?
Lutz
Novice

Post by Lutz »

Now we are talking the same language :-D

Backuptype , VMs List , BackupJob , Backup Date ( oldest, last, ) Available restorepoints, Backup state

It would also be helpful to be able to create a VM backup status report for a specific VM. (This is often required by the auditors in the case of official audits)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Got it! Thanks for your FR. We will discuss this internally (with Nikita) and then see how it fits our current plans for backup reports.
AndreyU
Lurker

Post by AndreyU »

Multi-tenant monitoring and reporting can be implemented using VMware infrastructure, by design there's unfortunately no way to restrict topology collection for SCVMM cloud.
Can fixed it?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Andrey and welcome to the community!
Could you elaborate on the issue/request?
Thanks!
Andres.Chacon
Lurker

Post by Andres.Chacon »

for some time now I have been meeting with several customers who would like to be able to replicate their Vmware infrastructure to Hyper-V in order to not have to invest in additional Vmware licensing and thus be able to have a DRP. this is something that may come in the future, something like a replication between several hypervisors.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No, this is not currently planned. But you can already instantly restore your vSphere backups to Hyper-V.

You should also check with your VMware sales rep regarding the need to license replica targets in case they do NOT run any VMs (except when production site is down). Because I remember this discussed here or somewhere a few years ago, and I believe the conclusion was that it is allowed to reuse production licenses for DR hosts as long as production hosts and DR hosts are never running VMs at the same time.
vict
Lurker

Post by vict »

if there is a possibility to show a kind of graph per customer over the month what the storage consumption is in Veeam Service Provider Console?
We would like to see what the customer is using over the month and if the storage consumption is factual.
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Post by jorgedlcruz » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
Have you checked already this report, and the others under the Veeam Cloud Connect folder? Let us know
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
vict
Lurker

Post by vict »

Dear jorgedlcruz,

I did see those but we need Veeam One for this.
Are there other possibilities to integrate this in VSPC?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

In VSPC we have trends and a quota usage report, there is no similar report in Veeam ONE.

Out of curiosity, why cannot you install Veeam ONE since it is absolutely free when monitoring and reporting on Veeam Cloud Connect?