Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
rezen
Novice
Liked: never

WriteObjectLockRetentionInfo API calls

Post by rezen »

Hi

We've recently started copying our backup data to AWS S3 Standard with 7 days retention and immutability and have currently around 30TB in the bucket.
I've noticed that we've been getting charged for many WriteObjectLockRetentionInfo API calls every other day.
I understand it's for extending the immutability but does this always occur every 10 days regardless of however long/short your retention/immutability periods are?
It could be because we did not copy all our jobs to S3 at the same time and these API calls were triggered by different jobs each time but I just wanted to see if there is a way to reduce how often these API calls get triggered.
I ​raised a ticket with the support (05066898) as well but is it true that there is no way to know which jobs are triggering these API calls?
Also, do we always get the No Operation API (the one in yellow) calls at the beginning of the month?
It says "This category includes costs (e.g., data transfer in/out) that are not directly attributable to a specific Operation." but I'm not sure if we did any data transfer etc to trigger these call.

I've read these posts (object-storage-f52/regarding-block-gene ... 72745.html and object-storage-f52/aws-s3-how-to-reduce ... 68858.html) and also the block generation help topic page etc but am still not too sure how these charges can be controlled.

Cost Explorer View - https://imgur.com/gjcSpXQ
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: WriteObjectLockRetentionInfo API calls

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello!

All jobs will trigger WriteObjectLockRetentionInfo API calls because objects reused in newly created restore points need to be made immutable for longer.

I'm not sure what is this other call and whether it's from Veeam because I can't think of any monthly process that involves object storage.

Thanks!
rezen
Novice

Post by rezen »

Thanks @Gostev.
So, with the immutability enabled, do WriteObjectLockRetentionInfo API calls get triggered roughly every 10 days regardless of however long/short my retention/immutability periods are set for?
There is no way to reduce the frequency of these calls triggered, correct?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Yes but it makes no economic sense because unneeded storage costs would be higher.
rezen
Novice

Post by rezen »

OK thanks for your response.
Much appreciated.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

No problems! If you are concerned about API costs, there are alternative cloud object storage providers who don't charge for API calls, or even egress traffic.