Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
rpop
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: rpveeam

Conversion "smb shares" to Netapp NAS filer

Post by rpop »

Hello,

We use Veeam (11.0.1.1261 -->11a) for VMs and NAS backup.
Our NAS data reside in two VMs NetApp Select (ontap 9)
For NAS backup, we used "SMB shares" (see in inventory) + pre-script backup job for NetApp Snapshot
fresh backups on landing zone, then copy job to HPE storeonce for mid-long term retention
Everything worked fine

Recently i follow this procedure to convert our "SMB shares" to NetApp NAS Filer (NetApp integration)
Objective was to exploit as much as possible "NetApp storage integration", so easier and no need to play nevermore with pre-scripts to trigger NetApp snapshots
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Conversion was ok, but nas backup & copy jobs started just after this change is currently take a long time, obviously gone for full backup & copy :(
What's append, maybe snapshots triggered by my pre-scripts are no longer the same as those triggered by the NetApp Filers integration, so unable to build the delta data, you confirm ?

And when we take a look at Disk or Disk (Copy) backup View, we see both the old "SMB share" and his new share post-conversion.

Example:
SMB shares : \\SVM_filer\shareA
and
NAS Filer : CLuster NetApp\SVM_filer:\shareA

Is it normal ?

i take this opportunity to submit "maybe" two bugs:
- Obviously shares that ends with "$" aren't supported with NAS filer (opened case 05077656)

- Since 11a (never seen before), on the "Last 24 hours" - "Running" View, i see more than ten jobs in progress but they are finished since few hours or days.
it seems to be a display problem on the Veeam console

Best regards

RPOP
Best regards
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Conversion "smb shares" to Netapp NAS filer

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

i take this opportunity to submit "maybe" two bugs:
- Obviously shares that ends with "$" aren't supported with NAS filer (opened case 05077656)
This is a new default since V11a. See the confirmation here:
post424342.html#p424342
- Since 11a (never seen before), on the "Last 24 hours" - "Running" View, i see more than ten jobs in progress but they are finished since few hours or days.
it seems to be a display problem on the Veeam console
Could be a Known issue, see here:
post431964.html?hilit=Console%20update#p431964

Conversion was ok, but nas backup & copy jobs started just after this change is currently take a long time, obviously gone for full backup & copy :(
What's append, maybe snapshots triggered by my pre-scripts are no longer the same as those triggered by the NetApp Filers integration, so unable to build the delta data, you confirm ?
Have you checked this before starting the jobs?
From the guide you linked:
At this step, you can check if the cmdlet has correctly converted the backup. To do that, check if backup object names in the Disk (Orphaned) node have changed and now show the path to the NAS filer share. If object names have not changed and show the path to the SMB or NFS share as before, continuing the conversion process can lead to the unwanted result. For example, when you enable the backup job for the converted backup, it will back up the NAS filer share not with an incremental run, but with a full run instead, which may lead to extra costs.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
rpop
Enthusiast

Post by rpop »

Hello Mildur,

Thanks for your reply,
For the share conversion to use with Netapp filer, I followed scrupulously the conversion procedure and hadn't any problem.
but last thursday just after conversion, i saw both "old" SMB Shares" (pre-conversion) and their "new" corresponding Netapp filer shares (post-conversion) displayed in the Disks backups and Disk (Copy) view; so i was thinking unfortunaly the backup chain was broken now !
NAS backup and copy jobs worked fine yesterday in the evening, and today i see "old" SMB Shares have now disappeared in the Disk backups view, it's like "old" SMB Shares restore points were merged with their corresponding new Filer NetApp share, it seems to be ok now.
but i don't know if it will be the same with Disk (copy), because currently i still have both old and new shares together, any idea ? or perhaps, do i use the same powershell conversion command for the copy job associated to the NAS backup job ? i think this conversion command works only with backup job, right ?

Thank you for your help

Best regards

RPOP
Best regards
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Your welcome
I don‘t have any experience with the conversion.
But following the guide, there is a note, that the backup copy job will be an active full after the conversion:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
If you convert backups and map them to a NAS backup job with backup copy, during the next job run, Veeam Backup & Replication will perform an active full backup for the backup copy.
rpop
Enthusiast

Post by rpop »

Hello ,
Indeed, we had full backup copy jobs yesterday in the evening.
But, I discover just right now a new consequence with conversion, indeed I loose more than 8 months of restore points archives for our nas backup jobs , is it normal?
Support is informed for this problem.

Best regards

Thank you

Rpop
Best regards
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

indeed I loose more than 8 months of restore points archives for our nas backup jobs , is it normal?
Doesn‘t look right to me. Veeam should not delete something without changing the retention.
I recommend to wait for support. If someone can help, then them. You can escalate the case if it is time critical.
rpop
Enthusiast

Post by rpop » 1 person likes this post

Ok thank you Mildur for your reply.

I increased the criticality level of the ticket, we will see.

Regards

RPOP
Best regards