Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BUUKInfrastructure
Novice
Liked: never

Immutable storage and Clustered storage

Post by BUUKInfrastructure »

Just spit-balling if I may.

Would it be possible to cluster multiple ubuntu servers storage together to present to B&R as a single immutable repository? Just thinking for expansion purposes further down the road if i needed such a thing?

Sorry if this has been asked/answered i have seen a number of responses about the clustering side but not around immutability.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Immutable storage and Clustered storage

Post by Mildur »

cluster multiple ubuntu servers storage together to present to B&R as a single immutable repository?
The one issue I see in this design, the veeam data mover service cannot be clustered.
When you add the linux hardened repo with Single Use Credentials, veeam deploys two services to the Host. This is a 1:1 relationship between the backup server and the host for the linux hardened repo. I don't see a way from the veeam console, to install this services on multiple hosts at the same time. They would not talk to each other. Veeam will see each host as a single hardened Repo.

Only one ubuntu server can provide the linux hardened repo service. In theory, you can cluster your ubuntu server with Ceph and present the storage cluster with iSCSI or as a Ceph Block device to another ubuntu server and format it from there with a xfs filesystem. That way, it can work.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software