Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
dejudicibus
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dario de Judicibus

Substitute NEW backup to OLD incremental backups

Post by dejudicibus »

I use Veeam Agent for Windows to backup my system on an external SSD. Of course I use an incremental backup. However that is filling my 4TB SSD because each increment takes in consideration all changes, so the sum of all increments is by far much larger than the HDD that is backup. Is it possible to have another backup from scratch and, if successful, remove the old backup and all the old incremental backups? What is the exact procedure?

Thank you in advance
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Substitute NEW backup to OLD incremental backups

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if you want to save disk space, then reducing the retention is the easiest solution.

Yes, you can also create a new full backup. That would be active or synthetic full backup. Old full and incremental backups will be deleted only if the retention policy it met. So this approach requires more disk space than the first one.

Best regards,
Hannes
dejudicibus
Novice

Post by dejudicibus »

ok, But how can i reduce the retention? I read this page: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50
It seems clear but I do not understand if that is what the agent does by default or if I have to activate some option. I cannot find any "retention" option in settings or in the backup job edit panel.
What I have to do? Is there a way to understand how much space the backup is taking on my local storage and if it is really the minimum or there is room for optimization?
dejudicibus
Novice

Post by dejudicibus »

PS. If I click on my backup job, I get a context menu that says:

Backup Now
Active full backup
Standalone full backup

Which are the differences? What I have to do to save space?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

just to clarify: reducing backup retention is only for new backups. existing backups keep their configured retention.

per default you don't need to configure anything except the amount of days / restore points you want to keep. 7 is the default

right click should also offer to open the control panel. in the job settings you can configure the retention.

to save space, you don't want to create any full backup. Reducing the number of days to keep saves disk space

You can also just delete everything and start from new if like. that's up to you.