Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Small problem with "forget unavailable backups"

Post by DanielJ »

I found what looks like a bug in the last version of v11 (not tested in v11a, or any previous versions). I have imported a vCloud Director per-vm backup and manually deleted all vib files, just keeping the vbk's, for both vApp and vm backups. As expected, all removed files show as missing in the backup properties window. I can open each vApp and look at the vms contained in it (with red crosses on the expected files).

Now, to make VBR forget about those removed files. I noticed that somehow the order in which I do this is significant. If I open a vApp, select the backups of a vm, and select to "forget all unavailable" on it, they disappear as expected. Then I do the same for the vApp, and its missing backups disappear too. I can now still open the vApp and see the remaining backup files for the vm.

If I do it the other way around, selecting to forget the missing vApp backups first, then the whole vm chain seems to be forgotten. The vApp looks empty and can no longer be opened. I have repeated this a few times and it seems consistent. To make VBR remember the vm backups again, I paste in a copy of the vbm file (which I fortunately still had) and rescan the repository. I thought this could be worth checking out.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Small problem with "forget unavailable backups"

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Interesting.
Checking with QA.

/Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Small problem with "forget unavailable backups"

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Confirmed an unexpected behavior which will be fixed in one of the following updates.
Thanks for feedback!