RESTful knowledge exchange
StevePas
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Pasquini

How to generate list of machines Agent And Azure Appliance Last backup states/status (Error,Warning,success

Post by StevePas »

Hi we are using now a mix Veeam environnement couple Azure Appliances to do mostly all our backup but we still have some VM in Azure using the regular Agent "like physical computer" mainly Windows SQL/Db servers, some linux and file servers that need quick Agent Restore/overwrite.
Our appliance are connected into our VBR 11a console then those a also looped into Enterprise manager.

Our operators have their own ticketing and monitoring solution so they don't want to look at Email Alert other dashbord... So my goal is to use Powershell to do RestAPI call Daily after all backup are done, then have a file generated with
"Machine name - Their last success Status (error,Warning,Success..) - Date/time - if Avail Appliance name or Agent backup server.. so we know if it's an Azure cloud or agent backup

The powerShell could call Azure Appliance directly one after the other then VBR 11a console server for agent to fetch all VM into the same LOG , OR if easier gatter all the info from VBR11 console itself since AZappliance are connect OR even trough Enterprise Manager maybe ??

For now I don't know why but the hardest thing to get is that darn "last success status (error,warning or success)" link to a VM name.. Last backup time is fairly easy to get but that status state is the one I getting issue from API call or even regular PowerShell module for agent type backup. Same trough Veeam Enterprise manager using API call for Agent Base backup can't find this.

So wonder if their is a good guy that allready have something similar ? Again using PowerShell +RestAPI, BUT if this can be done easier using the Veeam Module instead that could be fine too... knowing that Azure appliance are hook to my VBR 11a console server and also Enterprise manager.
Tricky part is my veeam VBR backup are not using "vmware type" they are AGENT type this one seems hard too using the powershell module when you want last status/state of the last backup...

Thanks !
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: How to generate list of machines Agent And Azure Appliance Last backup states/status (Error,Warning,success

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Steve,

By backups made with azure appliances you mean those produced with Veeam for Azure, right?
If it is the case, the problem here is that neither EM REST, nor VBR REST reflect these policy sessions.
Since the whole question, if I understood it correctly, is about differentiating between agent and azure native backups and providing last state/results on them in your reports, here I would see VBR Powershell as the only unified (but yet unsupported in case with azure native backups) way to get those as of now.
Another way would be to query agent backups through EM REST and azure native backups through Veeam for Azure REST, thus, using separate Product APIs.
If you decide to go with Powershell, please, create a new post on our powershell submforum.

Thanks,
Oleg