Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
j2wong
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Joe Wong

restrict wifi not working when PC connected wifi still can be backup

Post by j2wong »

Hi all,

Our customer would like to restrict veeam agent backup from PC to Veeam B&R when the PC conected to wifi network.

I have tested in Protection Group to check "Restrict Wi-Fi usage to these networks" and Add SSID which PC connected, but the veeam agent backup job still can backup that PC which connected to Wi-FI which SSID added in the list of Restrict Wi-Fi usage to these networks.

I have also test to check "Restrict Wi-Fi usage to these networks" only and no add any SSID, but veeam agent backup still can backup that PC which connected to Wi-FI.

And i have also test to check "Restrict Wi-Fi usage to these networks" and add some SSID not existed let say "abcd", but veeam agent backup still can backup that PC which connected to Wi-Fi.

Could you advise how this function work or my setting is something wrong?

Many thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: restrict wifi not working when PC connected wifi still can be backup

Post by Mildur »

You configure in this setting, which Wifi SSID is allowed to use for backup.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50
By default, Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is set up to back up data over any Wi-Fi network to which the Veeam Agent computer is connected. You can select one or more specific Wi-Fi networks and instruct Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows to perform backup over these networks only. Backup over other wireless networks will be disabled.
If that is not working (leaving empty as you said or a different ssid that does not exist), then please open a support case with veeam as requested when you started this topic.
Each technical issue needs a support case.

Update:

That could be the reason in your case.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ct&ver=110
IMPORTANT
Network usage, throttling, and security settings are not applied to protected computers added to a Veeam Agent backup job managed by the backup server.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
j2wong
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Joe Wong

Re: restrict wifi not working when PC connected wifi still can be backup

Post by j2wong »

thanks for your reply, after do some test, i have found that if i am waiting for the schedule then the veeam agent job start, the throttle is working, but seems not working when i directly click "Start" on veeam agent backup job.