Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lazybird
Lurker
Liked: never

Create recovery media in Hyper-V 2019 server

Post by lazybird »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and it's rules about cases, IDs and so on, so sorry for that.

Is there a way to create bootable recovery media in 2019 hyper-v server?

I've installed VeeamBackup&Replication_11.0.1.1261_20210923 on that hyper-v server, then run Veeam.Endpoint.RecoveryMedia.exe. It started but failed with errors:

Code: Select all

Error Creating ISO image Error: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {2C941FCE-975B-59BE-A960-9A2A262853A5} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).
Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {2C941FCE-975B-59BE-A960-9A2A262853A5} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

Code: Select all

Failed to create recovery media: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {2C941FCE-975B-59BE-A960-9A2A262853A5} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).
I found out then that it's imapi2fs.dll library missing, tried to copy it and import registry entries from my win10 machine but with no luck.

So, is it possible at all? Can bootable ISO be created this way?

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Create recovery media in Hyper-V 2019 server

Post by Mildur »

Do you have installed Veeam Agent for Windows on the hypervisor?
Veeam B&R is the backup server and is not directly connected to the Recovery Media.

For creating a Recovery Media, you need to install the veeam Agent for Windows. Manually or as a managed Agent with a protection group. After that, you can backup the hyperv server and create a recovery media.
Without the agent, the recovery media makes no sense.

The rules are really easy to understand. Take a look:
https://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=755
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
lazybird
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by lazybird »

Thanks for reply. I tought if I have Veeam.Endpoint.RecoveryMedia.exe installed I've got everything needed... I'll check it out, thanks a lot.

No, it doesn't work. Installator says: "Veeam Agent... cannot be configured... it is managed by your system administrator".
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Whenever there are technical problems - reach out Veeam Support team at my.veeam.com!
What is your primary goal for that case: you are asking how to create a Recovery Media, but there is no Veeam Agent installed, nor backups performed.
Aside of server restoration from backup, Veeam Recovery Media can be used for a few handy tools inside of it(like local admin pass reset, windows startup repair, memory check etc) - for those operations you will be able to use Veeam Recovery Media created from any other machine.

/Cheers!