Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
adam85
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam El

Can Veeam 5.0.2 backup itself?

Post by adam85 »

I have an ESXi host and a NAS as a target for Veeam backups. I wanted to know if Veeam can backup itself. I created a replication job that mirrored the Veeam virtual machine from the host to the NAS via an NFS share mounted in vSphere. However, now when I try it, it seems to temporarily bring the Veeam appliance off the network and causes my vSphere client to crash. I couldn't reconnect to the host for quite a while without timing out. One thread states you can't use appliance mode and must disable application-aware processing through VSS. I'm using Veeam 5.0.2 and I could've swore I had Veeam backing itself up via replication at least once, so I'm wondering why I can't get it working again. If Veeam can't backup itself I'm at a huge disadvantage with no way to restore backups short of installing Veeam on my own machine or creating a separate server for Veeam only. I'm using the replication function as this would allow me to add the replica Veeam appliance to my host in the event the datastore containing VM data goes down.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: Can Veeam 5.0.2 backup itself?

Post by Gostev »

Sure, backing up and replicating itself works fine - most customers are doing exactly this. Thanks!
adam85
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam El

Re: Can Veeam 5.0.2 backup itself?

Post by adam85 »

Looks like you're right, I was able to backup the Veeam appliance using network mode without any issues. Thanks.