Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
brupnick
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Rupnick

Guest File Indexing Account Recommendations

Post by brupnick »

Good morning-

I'd like to start using the guest file indexing feature of VBR, but am looking for a recommendation on the best way to set this up. My problem is that I have backup jobs that point to resource groups. These resource groups contain a mixture of VMs that belong to different domains, so I'm not sure that I can specify DOMAIN1\user for VMs A, B, and C, and DOMAIN2\user for VMs D, E, and F. I really want to avoid having to add individual VMs or nesting too many resource groups, but will if necessary. Does anyone else have a similar setup or any suggestions?

Thank you,
Brian
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Guest File Indexing Account Recommendations

Post by Gostev »

Hi Brian, actually you can set accounts individually on specific VMs and/or containers in the advanced settings on the same step of the wizard, have you noticed this capability? Thanks.
vMO
Expert
Liked: 21 times

Post by vMO »

also if you have fw or uac enabled on your vm, there are some limitations. then you have to connect with user host\administrator or domain\administrator to this particular vm. if uac and fw is enabled a member of a administrators group doesn't work.
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

Gostev wrote:Hi Brian, actually you can set accounts individually on specific VMs and/or containers in the advanced settings on the same step of the wizard, have you noticed this capability? Thanks.
Thanks for the response Anton. I am familiar with this, but since my backup job is pointing to resource groups with mixed domains (Gold, Silver, Bronze), I don't believe that there's a way for me to specify accounts for individual VMs without either:
a.) Adding the VMs individually or
b.) Creating Gold\Domain1, Gold\Domain2, Silver\Domain1, etc resource sub groups and then assigning an account at that level.

Please correct me if any of that is incorrect.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, I would use VM folders and group VMs from the same domains in these folders. Then, you could just assign credentials on the VM folder in the advanced settings. Thanks!
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

That's probably what I'll end up doing. Thank you!!