Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mnordstr
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Mattias Nordstrom

Copy Job / Cloud Copy Health Check

Post by mnordstr »

Hi,

Tried searching for this but could not find an answer.

When we do a health check on a copy job or cloud copy job, does it compare the data to what was ingested from the production storage or to what was copied from the backup repository?

We currently run the primary backup repository without health checks but with monthly active fulls. I'm just wondering if a possible data corruption from production->primary repo would be noticed by the backup copy job health check? If the backup copy job calculates its own CRC when copying from the primary repo a data corruption on the primary repo would not be noticed.

Thanks,
Mattias
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Copy Job / Cloud Copy Health Check

Post by PetrM »

Hi Mattias,

The backup copy health check validates data produced by backup copy job itself and transports valid data blocks from the primary repository if the corrupted ones are found in restore points on the secondary repository. Production -> primary data corruption will not be detected by health check. You may refer to this page to get more information about health check workflow for backup copy.

Thanks!
mnordstr
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Mattias Nordstrom

Post by mnordstr » 1 person likes this post

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I think I might turn on health checks on the primary repo then to catch possible issues, as only periodic active fulls there is not enough to compare stored data to production data.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

It is a good practice, indeed. Another way of checking your backups is SureBackup, with both technologies in place you can even consider getting rid of periodic active fulls.