Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
balma01
Certified Trainer
Liked: 5 times

Failing over to NBDwarning

Post by balma01 »

I wish to have a warning in the case I choose a specific transport mode (direct san) for my proxy and it has to failover to NBD.
How to have a warning in that case?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Failing over to NBDwarning

Post by foggy »

This is logged as an informational message in the job session log (something like "Unable to hot add source disk, failing over to network mode... "). Actually was switched from a warning due to a large number of customers considering it annoying.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Just tested it and it looks like we don't log failover from SAN to NBD, however failover rom HotAdd to NBD is clearly reflected in the action log. Please let us clarify the behavior with our colleagues from QA department.

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Apologies for being late with the update. My tests were not 100 % accurate and actually we show the message: "Direct SAN connection is not available, failing over to Network mode (Hard Disk X)". However, this message is displayed only for those proxies that have SAN connection, we try to use it and show the message if failover to NBD happens. If SAN mode is not possible at all in theory, for example direct access to the production storage is not configured on proxy, we even don't try to use SAN and there is no failover, therefore the message is not shown.

Basically, it always makes sense to check this list with the requirements for SAN proxy.

Thanks!