Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

rename vSphere tags of backup jobs

Post by sandsturm »

Hi

I want to replace my VBR server with a new one and I want to create new Backupjobs on this new server for existing VMs (because I have new repositories as well). All backupjobs are configured to use a vSphere tag as identifier for the VMs to backup. I want to use the existing tag-names for the new backup jobs after I renamed all tags of the existing jobs to something like: "BKPJob1_old". My question is: Can I rename the existing tags without having an impact on current backups and "reuse" the name "BKPJob1" to create a new vsphere tag for a new backupjob on new Veeam server?

thx
sandsturm
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: rename vSphere tags of backup jobs

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi sandsturm,
yes that should work as we will remain using the Tag-ID in that case which doesn't change.
I recommend trying out with a test vm first you so know the handling before completely changing it for all VMs.
Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Post by sandsturm »

Thanks for you answer, that works fine. I was able to change all tag-names. The only small caveat is that the visible tag-name in a Veeam backup job is not renamed and stays the same as before. It's just important to know to avoid future misunderstandings.

thx a lot
sandsturm
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi guys!

Thanks for the report. I've asked RnD folks to review this issue!