Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
parneye
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James

CBT Driver Azure SSE with PMK

Post by parneye »

It's not so obvious from https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50 whether or not using Veeam CBT driver for VMs in Azure for the agent will cause issues in regards to encryption.
The Azure harddisks by default use server side encryption (SSE with PMK)..
There is no Bitlocker or any software within the VM that has encryption enabled for the drives.
In windows, the drives are unencrypted.

Is it okay to install the Veeam CBT driver, or will this server side encryption cause issues?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: CBT Driver Azure SSE with PMK

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
using the CBT driver vs. change block tracking via "VSS magic" (this is what Veeam agent for Windows does without CBT driver) is independent from encryption. If backup and restore is working fine without CBT driver, then it also works with CBT driver.

I just read this article from Microsoft and everything I found about encryption is "below" operating system level. That means, the encryption is irrelevant for a backup software (every agent-based software) that works "above" operating system level.

Best regards,
Hannes
parneye
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James

Re: CBT Driver Azure SSE with PMK

Post by parneye »

Thanks Hannes.
My worry was that the Veeam article mentioned the VM would not boot if there was a conflict, so I thought I better double check there was no issue.
Thanks.