Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ZeroFactix
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dustin Lamkin

Stagger or all at once schdeuling

Post by ZeroFactix »

So I've been using Veeam for years and have always manually staggered and "massaged" job start times. However, at my latest client, we are re-configuring jobs to meet new SLA's and I'm wondering if it is a better practice to start them all at the same time and just let Veeam handle the timing and such. This would save a TON of manual time and also in theory get the entire dataset done faster as there would be no downtime between jobs.

Incase it matters a few details:
Jobs: ~100
VM's: ~300
Type: Backup and Replication
Edition: V11 Enterprise
Source: Hyper-V
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Stagger or all at once schdeuling

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the forums Dustin!

Sure, you can set the same start time for all your jobs and limit the amount concurrent task slots at the repository level. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

ZeroFactix wrote: Nov 04, 2021 12:04 pmSo I've been using Veeam for years and have always manually staggered and "massaged" job start times. However, at my latest client, we are re-configuring jobs to meet new SLA's and I'm wondering if it is a better practice to start them all at the same time and just let Veeam handle the timing and such. This would save a TON of manual time and also in theory get the entire dataset done faster as there would be no downtime between jobs.
You've seen the light!
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange » 1 person likes this post

ZeroFactix wrote: Nov 04, 2021 12:04 pm Incase it matters a few details:
Jobs: ~100
VM's: ~300
Type: Backup and Replication
Edition: V11 Enterprise
Source: Hyper-V
That seems like a lot of jobs for the number of VMs. We have like 800 VMs and only 6 jobs, just to have different retention and app-aware processing and proxy settings. If you have multiple jobs that have the exact same settings, you should combine them.