Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sforest
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sébastien Forest

Asynchronous read operation failed

Post by sforest »

2 or 3 weeks due tto an electrical shortage after a storm, both my server and the server where my replica are done went down for a week.

Since then each time, I tried to make a replica of one of my vms, I receive the following message :

Job started at 2021-08-10 13:17:39
Building list of machines to process 00:02
VM size: 300,0 GB
Changed block tracking is enabled
Processing DC02 Error: Erreur de données (contrôle de redondance cyclique) Asynchronous read operation failed 03:14
All VMs have been queued for processing 00:00
Load: Source 61% > Proxy 19% > Network 32% > Target 77%
Primary bottleneck: Target
Job finished with error at 2021-08-10 13:21:10

It seems to come from a bad sector on the vm. I have try to repair it with chkdsk in vain.

Is there a way to achieve a replica with success? I try to open a case with the support both since I am on a rental and I don't want to pass by my reseller to solve the problem, I receive no answer.

Help! I think I'm gonna cry! I don't want to recreate my vms once more.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Asynchronous read operation failed

Post by PTide »

Hi,
I receive no answer.
Kindly post your case ID so we can change that sad situation.

Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Sebastien,
you have opened support case 04959331 without a license support identifier.
You can find the identifier in the license section of the product or in the license file itself. I guess you can use this even if it is a rental.
But I think all rental support cases need to be opened by your managed service provider as contractual he holds the support contract with us and you pay him for the managed service.

Overall the Asyncronous read error looks like that there is something on the VMware side that block the Asynchronous read. In the end it is not a big issue as we can read the data still but not that fast as we could. Sync processing that it is now doing is that request one by one the data blocks. Asynchronous read is when we send multiple read requests at same time and the storage can optimize what it reads first and therefore can leverage caches and other optimizations better.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Can you please clarify if the Job failed completely or ended up with a warning (falling back to syncronous processing).
sforest
Lurker
Full Name: Sébastien Forest

Post by sforest »

Ok the case is 04959331 like previously identify.

It is for the version 9.5. This is a rental and the support ID is <removed> probably at the name of <removed>.

To clarify, it fails completely without creating the replica. Everything starting well, but everytime at 22.7Gig and 7% of the process. I receive the error.

I tried to make a new replication job with another name and each time this is the same result.

Contact Info: Forest Sebastien
<removed>
<removed>
Additional Details: Job started at 2021-08-10 13:17:39
Building list of machines to process 00:02
VM size: 300,0 GB
Changed block tracking is enabled
Processing DC02 Error: Erreur de données (contrôle de redondance cyclique) Asynchronous read operation failed 03:14
All VMs have been queued for processing 00:00
Load: Source 61% > Proxy 19% > Network 32% > Target 77%
Primary bottleneck: Target
Job finished with error at 2021-08-10 13:21:10

MOD: This entry was edited to remove 3rd party data.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Hi Sebastien,
I have edited your entry and removed the 3rd party ID that someone can leverage to gain support.
Please open a new ticket with the support ID.
dmouse8
Lurker
Full Name: Danilo

[MERGED] Asynchronous read operation failed - Vsphere 6.7

Post by dmouse8 »

ID: 05119926

Greetings;
i have a problem with veeem backup and replication
community,
that is when I backup my virtual machines, on Vsphere 6.7
4 out of 6 of the virtual machines, it does not back me up and gives me the following error:

" 06/11/2021 11:39:38 :: Processing DC1 Error: Incorrect function
Failed to upload disk. Skipped arguments: [>];
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Exception from server: Incorrect function
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [3389].
Failed to download disk 'DC1-flat.vmdk'. "

after the error, I tried to recreate the jobs and to recreate the repository on nas, I checked the free space on the nas and there is plenty of it, not happy I created a new repository using a hard disk connected in usb then locally , but the problem persists and always returns the same error, what perplexes me is that the backup of 2 virtual machines works correctly but the other 4 no longer know what to do.

ah I add that I also did the chkdsk / f / r / x both on virtual machines and on the nas but nothing the error persists ...
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I merged your question to a similar one. It sounds like the issue is on the VMware side.

As guessing on that kind of issue makes no sense to me, I can only recommend to see whether support will pick up your case or not (as you say you are on community edition, it depends on the load in support).

I would start with a storage VMotion on the VMware side to see whether the whole VM is still readable (I have seen broken VMs a couple of times). If that's successful and VM-based backup still fails, you could try agent-based backup.

Bes regards,
Hannes