Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
filippoAdb
Influencer
Liked: never

Long and short term backups

Post by filippoAdb »

I'm searching for suggestions and examples on how to effectively mix short and long term backups.
Currently my backups have a retention policy of 14 days and an active full backup is created on Saturday.
One of my concern is the following: an important folder may be deleted by mistake and nobody notices it for a month. My backup strategy si useless in cases like this.
Veeam gives lots of possibilities, GFS strategies, secondary destinations, backup copy jobs, etc. but it is not clear to me how they interact with each other.
Storage space is always a limited resource and I have to use it appropriately. Is there a best practices document about backup strategies ?
I could archive a full backup and retain it for some months, but I think it is not a good idea. That way I would have a very old backup and the last 14 days, nothing in the middle.
I could archive a full backup every month but it will consume all my storage space soon. Cannot figure out the right compromise.

Thanks
Filippo
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Long and short term backups

Post by PetrM »

Hi Filippo,

As far as I understand, GFS policy cannot be used with the primary job in your case as you don't have enough free space on the primary repository. What about the secondary repository? The best practice is to follow 3-2-1 rule to have the possibility to restore data in case of disaster on the main site. For instance, you can have the same number of restore points on the secondary repository or you can configure different retention for backup copy job depending on available free space.

Also, you may consider the hardened repository to protect your backup data from unplanned issues including malware activity.

Thanks!