Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
CWSI
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Philip Harrison

QuickMigration not showing up as a 'Job'

Post by CWSI »

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is a bug or feature, but when you do a QuickMigration job in Veeam6 it doesn't actually show up in Jobs at all. Initially I thought the migration had crashed/cancelled but I then found it as "Working" under History. Maybe this is intentional, but it seems like it would be more consistent for it to appear under Jobs?

Also as a feature request, it would be great to be able to do a migration job in stages. So instead of a one-shot approach that does the initial copy then cuts over, it would be great to be able to replicate the VMs a few days beforehand, then do a final re-sync and cut over when it suits. This could actually be done with the existing Replication functionality, you'd setup a replication job to run a few times, then you could right click on a Replica and instead of choosing Failover you choose Permanently Move or something like that that would but the VM in a proper forlder name (no _replica) etc. Just a thought...

Thanks,
Philip
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: QuickMigration not showing up as a 'Job'

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Philip,

Yes, QuickMigration job is not displayed in the backup console with other jobs, you can review its status on the History -> Copy jobs node only.

I believe these type of jobs should not be mixed with backup/replication jobs, as basically you will run QM job only once just to evacuate VMs from hosts requiring urgent maintenance, not sure why would you want to keep them after that under the jobs node.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

Currently, migration does not show up under jobs because you cannot schedule it (it is an interactive task). You are right, for staged migration, there is replication already available. However, I'd like to add ability to schedule migration in future - if it is well accepted as a feature. Thanks.
CWSI
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Philip Harrison

Post by CWSI »

Hi Vitaliy - Yeah I see your point, I guess it's just that every other type of task you run in Veeam shows up in Jobs, so when yuo start a QuickMigration and hit OK to close the window it can be hard to find unless you know where it appears. I figured the job had cancelled and was about to start it again or take another action.

Gostev - Yeah I think it would be a great feature, and the fact that Replication does 99% of the work already, it would be (I think :) ) easy enough to just add the option that instead of failing over you are doign a "permanent failover" that puts the VM in a proper folder (without the _replica suffix) and names it appropriately.

For instance I'm migrating smoe VMs are the moment, the QuickMigration feature isn't really that much use because it isn't really that quick at all (no fault of Veeam) - you start the migration then wait an undetermined amount of time for it to finish then cut across immediately. So do you start the job on a Friday evening and hope it is finished befroe staff arrive in the next day? Doing a replica during a week night, then powering down the VM and doing a final replica followed by failover in an hour or two max (with _replica suffix removal etc.) is a much better and manageable way to go!