Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
davidhodges86
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: David Hodges

Job configuration help

Post by davidhodges86 »

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can please help me change my job configuration to end up with desired result...

Currently have 5 VMs backup up in forever incremental:

We then have a backup copy job copying to Cloud Connect keeping 7 restore points, 1 weekly and 12 monthly.

We currently have no monthly points as started the chain a few weeks ago but we're left with this in the cloud:

What are the best changes to make so only one FULL backup is stored in the copy job? I'm thinking one option would be to change the primary job to reverse incremental but was wondering if A) that would work and B) is there a less monumental change I could make to get the desired result?

Thank you if anyone sees this and is able to advise!

David
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Job configuration help

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
7 restore points, 1 weekly and 12 monthly.
one full is impossible in general with the backup copy job, but especially with the needs you pointed out here.

A) that does not do what you want. The result of the backup copy job would be the same like today. Keep in mind that the backup copy job copies restore points... not files
B) the closest configuration to "1 full" is setting the backup copy job to 2 restore points without weekly / yearly.

Question: with 12 monthly backups... what's the point caring about a few daily incremental backups?

Best regards,
Hannes
davidhodges86
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: David Hodges

Post by davidhodges86 »

Hi Hannes,

Thanks for your reply. I'd prefer not to have the weekly point at all but I've started including it following the changes in v11 which caused incrementals to keep building up until the monthly happened and would only then clear down. To be fair I'm not sure if that problem exists in Cloud Connect copy jobs like it does with local copy jobs.

Ideally we'd just have the most recent backup, a couple of incrementals and X number of monthly points, storage permitting.

David
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

ok, if you need the monthlies, then your configuration sounds already "optimal" to me.

the alternative would be to run the backup copy job only once per month.

the few increments should be irrelevant from a disk space perspective. and the weekly is "for free" in the recommended architecture with REFS / XFS.