Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ValiantMartian
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

How to use Gateway server with MULTIPLE B&R Servers?

Post by ValiantMartian »

I have a Veeam B&R server "Veeam-01" for VMware server backups. They run to an on-site NAS, then backup copy jobs send these to a remote site, using a Gateway Server that sits at that remote site. This has been working great for over a year.

I am now trying to add backup copy jobs to a separate Veeam server, one which handles workstation backups. When trying to add this the above Gateway Server as a "Managed Server" in Veeam, I get the following errors:

Checking locks for package Transport Error: Transport is used by *COPY_JOB_NAME* on backup server *VEEAM-01*
Failed to install or upgrade packages: Transport is used by *COPY_JOB_NAME* on backup server *VEEAM-01*
Failed to save Microsoft Windows server: Transport is used by *COPY_JOB_NAME* on backup server *VEEAM-01*
Infrastructure item save failed Error: Transport is used by *COPY_JOB_NAME* on backup server *VEEAM-01*

Are there any additional steps I need to do on the Gateway Server for it to allow usage by more than 1 Veeam B&R instance. PLEASE tell me I don't need a separate Gateway Server for every Veeam instance!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: How to use Gateway server with MULTIPLE B&R Servers?

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Basically, I wouldn't recommend to share any components of backup infrastructure like proxy, gateway, or repository between different Veeam B&R servers. This kind of setup is always unstable, especially if we're talking about components update on the gateway or proxy which is shared. Could you please clarify why you don't want to deploy a separate gateway server? One more question is related to the necessity to have two different Veeam B&R servers in the environment, any chance to orchestrate all activities by single Veeam B&R instance?

Thanks!
ValiantMartian
Enthusiast

Post by ValiantMartian »

We could deploy an additional gateway server at the remote data center, but it's costly. I'm not sure why we have 2 separate Veeam B&R servers. Maybe it was due to a license incompatibility? We have both agent licenses and server licenses. Can those all run together from one Veeam B&R Server? We have a fairly small environment:

3 vCenter hosts running ~30 VMs
70 physical workstations (agent backup)

If recommended, I can try to move all the workstation backups to the "server" B&R server.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Typically a single Veeam B&R instance is enough. If you have license issues, you can ask our sales reps for assistance with the license merge process.
ValiantMartian
Enthusiast

Post by ValiantMartian »

It doesn't seem that any backup files need to move, I just need the jobs moved/created and then pointed to the existing backup repository. I'm not seeing any KB articles showing how to create jobs and associate with existing backups. I do see articles on how to move an entire Veeam B&R installation though. Any suggestions for how to create the jobs on "Veeam-01"?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can map the new jobs to the existing backups if this is what you're looking for.