Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Manico
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael J Manico

Slow Reverse Incremental Speed to Drobo FS

Post by Manico »

Just curious about anyones experience with this.
I'm getting 9mbs with local Reverse Incremental to a Drobo FS in hot add mode
I'm getting 52mbs replicating it over a 25meg pipe to a remote site.
this seems "strange to me" Any thoughts? Incrememntals screem but it took 32 hours to Roll up the chain into synthetic fulls.
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Re: Slow Reverse Incremental Speed to Drobo FS

Post by Sethbartlett »

Is this a de-duplication device? Synthetic fulls do a lot of read/write and de-duplication devices are terrible at this, there are many, many posts on the forums about this :)
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
donb123
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Donald Brisson

Post by donb123 »

Manico wrote:Incrememntals screem but it took 32 hours to Roll up the chain into synthetic fulls.
If I remember correctly, I read about the Drobo FS on Ars and the general consensus was that it was spacious and easy but slow.

Given the amount of IO required to roll up the chain, your results seem to confirm the Drobo's poor performance capabilities.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

How many spindles in your Drobo? Drobo can't break the law of physics which it comes to IOPs per drive. Incremental backups are streaming, reverse incrementals or rollbacks and random I/O. The difference is usually about 10x slower for random I/O if you don't have the spindles. Most Drobo (and other small NAS appliances) have plenty of space but very low spindle count.