Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
NiallDES
Novice
Liked: never

SureBackup Problem

Post by NiallDES »

Hi All

I've opened a support case on this, ID#5164855, just putting it here as well to see if anyone can shed any light. I'm trying to perform a sure backup job on a Domain Controller and Exchange server both 2003. Backups are completing successfully for both VM's. The sure backup successfully processes the Domain Controller but fails on the exchange server with the error:

Code: Select all

Reason: The file specified is not a virtual disk. 
I have a second exchange server that also fails with the same error.

Any help would be appreciated as I need to perform a restore using these backups,

Thanks

Niall
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: SureBackup Problem

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Niall,

Sounds like Exchange VMs have improper disk entries in the VMX files, which prevent you from running SureBackup jobs successfully. I've heard about similar case from our support team, where some of the existing adapters configuration was invalid.

Here is a SB log snippet from that ticket:

Code: Select all

[16.12.2011 17:59:35] <01> Info     [SureBackup] <Powering on> scsi0:3.present = "FALSE"
[16.12.2011 17:59:35] <01> Info     [SureBackup] <Powering on> sched.scsi0:3.shares = "normal"
Try searching through your SureBackup job for similar entries, or let our support team investigate that for you.

Thank you!
NiallDES
Novice
Liked: never

Post by NiallDES »

Hi Vitaliy

Thanks for your reply. I checked through the logs and they return true for the check on the disk present. We do appear to have very poor response times on the SureBackup jobs that are working, i.e. a server that boots in 1-2 mins is taking 30-40 in the pilot lab even though the vPower NFS is located on the same spec disks as the production server.

I'm currently uploading all my log files for support to look at but at this stage I'm losing confidence in Veeam as a product for protecting our Exchange environment.

Thanks

Niall
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

NiallDES wrote:i.e. a server that boots in 1-2 mins is taking 30-40 in the pilot lab even though the vPower NFS is located on the same spec disks as the production server.
Yep, I would agree that it is slow, need to see debug log files to locate the bottleneck. On top of that, what hardware are you using to run vPower NFS datastore?