Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Hotswappable SSD SATA drives?

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Case # 05147735

Hi guys,

I have just added a hotswappable drive bay with 3 x 4TB SDD that we plan to rotate through each day. I formatted the first drive and then went and told Veeam Agent 5.0.0 to backup to the D: Drive. This went well, the backup of 1TB took almost exactly 1 hour. Now when I changed the hotswappable drive it says Disk Is Missing. I understand the logic, because what the Veeam Agent database thinks it should have and what it has now are different.

How do I set the D Drive to be recognisable as Hotswappable, as if it was a plain old USB removable drive?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2285 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Hotswappable SSD SATA drives?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Alex

If you only have the windows agent, without a vbr server, you need to register each disk, before the first backup job is running to the disk:
Agent - Managing Rotated Drives
Agent - Backup to Rotated Drives

If you use a vbr server, you need to configure it as a backup repository with rotated disks:
VBR -
Backup Repositories with Rotated Drives
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Hi Mildur,

This drive is set as Hotswappable, but Veeam isn't showing it as a registerable drive. The BIOS and Windows Server both say it is hotswappable and I can eject it using the Safe Eject system.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Sorry, I should point out these are in a drive bay, not USB at all. Here is a screenshot of the old 2TB USB drives we were using, note there is no mention of the new 4TB drives:

AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Hmmmm... if I run it manually it does run, even though I see "Storage is missing":

Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2285 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Thanks for the additional information.
One possibility could be, that SATA SSD is not detected as a rotated disk by veeam agent. Veeam Support will confirm that, it that‘s the case.

Would it be possible to try it with a vbr server? Standalone Agents without a vbr server can not use all functions anyway. It‘s better to use a vbr server to manage the agents and provide the backup repo.
Could be worth a try.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software