Agentless, cloud-native backup for Microsoft Azure
georgez
Novice
Liked: never

Renew Application - Client Secret in Azure

Post by georgez »

Hello,
We have an "Veeam backup for Microsoft Azure" appliance running in Azure. This is in reference to the Veeam Azure Account which uses an 'Azure application' with a 'client secret'. The 'client secret' expires in one year.

Here are my questions:
1. Is there a way to 'Automatically' renew the 'client secret' prior to expiration?
2. If it expires, does it mean the backup job stops working?
3. If the Automatic renewal is not possible then, is there a way to get email notification about the 'client secret' prior to its expiration?

I did not see an option within the Veeam console to send out email notification when the 'Client Secret' expires.

Appreciate all the help.

Thanks
George
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Renew Application - Client Secret in Azure

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello George,

Do you use an application that was created by Veeam Backup for Azure or have you pre-created one for VB to be used?

Thanks!
georgez
Novice

Post by georgez »

Hello Vitaliy,

We are using the application that is created by the 'Veeam Backup for Azure' wizard, NOT a pre-created one.

Thanks,
George
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi George,

In that case, you will receive a notification starting one month before the expiration in the notification bell area. This notification will be shown on weekly basis, and then on daily basis for all admin accounts. If you do not renew the application, then, yes, all policies will stop working.

Hope this helps!
georgez
Novice

Post by georgez »

Hi Vitaliy,

Thanks for this information. That was helpful.
georgez
Novice

Post by georgez »

Hi Vitaliy,

Is it possible for Veeam to send an email notification about the expiring client secret? As we manage multiple clients, it it not practical to check each Veeam instance for an expiring client secret. With an email notification our ticketing system can create a ticket; so that an engineer can login to Veeam and manually renew the client secret. We really need this feature or a way for Veeam to automatically renew the client secret prior to expiration.

Please let me know.

Thanks
George
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

George,

Let me discuss it with our Dev team and I will come back to you. On a side note, when you say that you're managing tenants can you please give us a bit more on this? Are you a service provider that provides backup as a service or this is mostly for internal departments (aka clients) in your company?

Thanks!
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

I believe this is data is available within the REST API either via Veeam or directly from Microsoft's API which allows you to create a monitoring script for this.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Correct, however, we could potentially implement this feature in our monitoring products that are focused on service providers ;)
georgez
Novice

Post by georgez »

Hi Vitaliy,

The Veeam licensing model we have is a CSP or Service Provider. The Azure tenants that we manage are not for internal departments of our company. It is for our Customers.

Please do let me know your findings from the Dev Team or if there is a workaround to get notification alerts via email.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Notifications via email are not possible at the moment, just got a reply. Since you are a CSP, can you please share how do you control all VBs? Do you have a centralized place where you can see all policies and protected data?