Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Combine proxies of different types

Post by DanielJ »

If both hotadd and network proxies are selected for a job, VBR will wait indefinitely for a task slot to become available on a hotadd proxy, rather than using a free task slot on a network proxy. It is reasonable that VBR will prefer a hotadd proxy over a network proxy if both are available for a task, but what is the reasoning behind choosing to wait for a hotadd proxy instead of using an available network proxy? Is it because it is assumed that the hotadd proxy will finish the task faster than the network proxy, even when waiting time for a free hotadd slot is taken into account? That would be far from certain in many situations. This is not really a problem for me but I'm curious about design choices.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Combine proxies of different types

Post by PetrM »

Hi Daniel,

Good question. Basically, what's the point to produce extra load on LAN if there is a technical possibility to bypass this stage by leveraging HotAdd mode? Also, I don't think that it's normal that some tasks wait for available slots and do not fit backup window, you have an option to add slots on HotAdd proxy or to add more proxies.

Thanks!