Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
makacmar
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Marcel Kacmar

CIFS\NFS - folder include list by automatic snapshot backup off netapp #Case 05039290

Post by makacmar »

Hello,
Netapp integration for automatic snapshot is great, but is possible only to backup entire volume
not only exported filesystem/qtrees defined by customer
from automation perspective is required include list for folder and exclude everything (include list should have higher priority as exclude)
then customer is able to have backup via snapshot for specific filesystem on volume
currently only files could be excluded
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: CIFS\NFS - folder include list by automatic snapshot backup off netapp #Case 05039290

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Marcel,

Checking your case details, stay tuned!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Re: CIFS\NFS - folder include list by automatic snapshot backup off netapp #Case 05039290

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Marcel,

Sorry for the delay, the explanation in the case look right: you can configure the inclusions / exclusions for specific folders or files. Please take a look a this article.

Can you please share the desired setup to understand the request better? Are you looking for an option to setup paths with wildcards or something similar? Thank you!
makacmar
Service Provider

Post by makacmar »

Hello Dima,
technician explained that include list is working only for files, not folders.

My setup is to automated nfs/cifs share to be backed up by veeam, where snapshot is taken automatically (using netapp as NAS filer)
so customer can chosen, which filesystem/qtree wants to be backed up
for example
vol/veeam01_nfs has folder veeam01, veeam02, veeam03
so now entire volume veeam01_nfs has to be backed up
but i would like to exclude everything and put into include list folder veeam01 only
so customer will not pay for backup of veeam02, veeam03
number of these folders is unknown, because customer can create these folders/filesystems

i tried to put folder into include list, but i got warning, that folder is not allowed
makacmar
Service Provider

Post by makacmar »

Hello Dima,
could you please let me know, if there is big reason why directories cannot be included?
thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Marcel,

Thanks for the explanation and sorry for keeping silence. We are discussing the possibilities with RnD folks: right now it's not possible because with the storage integration we operate with storage volumes (and not specific folders). I've noted the improvement request based on your post!