Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
LazyLemur
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Hatcher

Questions on SOBR deployment

Post by LazyLemur »

I would like to begin pushing backups to an EC2 provider. I understand that I will I will need to deploy a SOBR but have questions on how to best leverage my current hardware.
We are a Veeam shop with 3 host and a fiber channel SAN. Our primary Veeam repo is a fairly new, well spec’d Dell 740xl joined to the fiber fabric. We also have a new Dell EMC NX3240 NAS which is located in a different building from the primary repo, connected over 10g copper and used used for backup copy jobs.
Since ditching BackupExec and going with Veeam our backup strategy has been:
One incremental per day for 30 days to the primary repo with a corresponding copy job to the Dell EMC. Same 1 per day for 30 days + monthly full for one year. After the copy job runs a second copy job goes to a USB drive that rotates off site.
Does it make sense for my primary repo to become the “performance tier”, the EMC NAS the “capacity tier” and the new EC2 instance would be the “archive tier” ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Questions on SOBR deployment

Post by Gostev »

No, Capacity Tier has to be an object storage.

Also, if you are to use Archive Tier, then it has to match what you use for Capacity Tier:
Amazon S3 > Amazon Glacier
Azure Blob > Azure Archive Storage
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Questions on SOBR deployment

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi
in your case I’d go with the current 740xl to become the performance tier and the AWS S3 to become your capacity tier. With that you can land your backups both local and in the cloud.
I’d keep your secondary copy to the other dc as it is but you can think of stopping the copy to usb and rather use S3 immutability for your ransomware protection.
As Anton said the archive is another, different tier.
You see there are plenty of options you can use and all, as always, depends on your needs in terms of RTO/RPO as well as ransomware protection.
Btw you talk about EC2 which would be a VM-like instance in AWS, I guess you meant AWS S3 instead, right?
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA