Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jgswinkels
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jan Swinkels

Limit backupsize vbk image file

Post by jgswinkels »

Hi all,

I am using Veeam Agent for Windows for years to backup to QNAP NAS .. Workes perfectly.
Now I want to Sync the NAS backup file to Microsoft OneDrive -> paid version 1 TB free storage .. as 2nd backup destination if NAS is corrupted/dead.
Error -> It is not allowed to upload files > 100GB to Microsoft OneDrive.

As solution I can take AOMEI Backupper for limiting the backup images < 100 GB and then Sync to OneDrive.

Question:
Is there a setting in Veeam Agent to limit the backup images < 100 GB ?? For a full backup of 109 GB HDD veeam backup will create two backup files, 1 file of e.g. 95 GB and one file of 14 GB => total Backupfile = still 109 GB.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Limit backupsize vbk image file

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jan

No, that‘s not possible. You can‘t limit or split vbk files with veeam. There is already a long going feature request to split vbks:
veeam-backup-replication-f2/feature-req ... 35406.html

If you want to split, you need two backup jobs which are protecting two different volumes.
If I remember this correctly, that would need a paid license. If you have only a single volume, then this makes no sense to configure.

For the backup storage, One Drive is not really a good location for backup files.
Veeam has a built in feature to send backups to OneDrive, but that feature will soon be removed because it has not really a good performance or stability as I heard.

Why not using a usb disk in a weekly rotation for a second copy? That would be airgapped and secure from ransomware.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software