ratkinsonuk
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Robert Atkinson

Confusion Over TransformFullToSyntethic

Post by ratkinsonuk »

I have a script that I wrote several months ago with this line :-

Code: Select all

Get-VBRJob -name $BackupJobName | Set-VBRJobAdvancedBackupOptions -EnableFullBackup $true -TransformFullToSynthetic $false | Out-Null
I've been running it against v11 quite happily, but my colleague has just gone to run the script, and got this error :-

Unable to configure Full Backup: A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'TransformFullToSynthetic'.
After debugging the issue, I've spotted that the spelling has changed on the parameter. It appears to now be spelt sometimes correctly and sometimes incorrectly across the whole product. I'm assuming this is something to do with a German translation.

-TransformFullToSyntethic <Boolean>
        Used with incremental backup method.
        If set to TRUE, the full synthetic backup will be enabled. Otherwise, you will have to perform full backups manually.
        Use TransformToSyntethicDays to set the days to perform the synthetic full backups.
My question is, am I going mad or did this parameter name change somewhere around v11a? Is it likely to change back again to the correct spelling?

Cheers, Rob.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Confusion Over TransformFullToSyntethic

Post by soncscy »

Hey Robert,

I've noticed this too , and I assume it's just a typo that ended up becoming "default" to not break scripts. There are a few other places I've seen this and my clients usually set English Locales. So I don't think you're crazy, I think it's just a small "whoopsie" from the Veeam Powershell Devs :)
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Robert,

That is really weird, because I've just checked it in 11a, 11, 10 and 9.5 u4b and it's always TransformFullToSyntethic there.
We don't change spelling on purpose for compatibility reasons, even if it contains a typo.

@soncscy, did you also notice it after 11 to 11a upgrade?

Best regards,
Oleg
ratkinsonuk
Expert

Post by ratkinsonuk »

No worries Oleg. I've been trying to think of a way I could confirm it was or wasn't working, but it would probably involve restoring older Veeam versions from backup which would be a complete pain in AD, so not worth it. I'll just stick with the rename I've implemented.

Cheers for checking though.
soncscy
Veteran

Post by soncscy »

Hi Oleg,

I just checked on v11a (without the recent patch, so maybe that's it[0]) and auto-complete on Set-VBRjobAdvancedBackupOptions gives you:

PS C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup> Set-VBRJobAdvancedBackupOptions -TransformFullToSyntethic -TransformToSyntethicDays -TransformIncrementsToSyntethic
Digging in on the SetVBRJobAdvancedBackupOptions class, I see it's the same, and even checking the Options.BackupTargetOptions I see it there:

PS C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup> $job.Options.BackupTargetOptions

Algorithm                        : Increment
FullBackupScheduleKind           : Daily
FullBackupDays                   : {Saturday}
FullBackupMonthlyScheduleOptions : Veeam.Backup.Model.CDomFullBackupMonthlyScheduleOptions
TransformFullToSyntethic         : True
TransformIncrementsToSyntethic   : False
TransformToSyntethicDays         : {Saturday}
[0] Edit: Just installed the patch, no change.
soncscy
Veteran

Post by soncscy »

Ahhhh disregard Oleg, I completely misread your post. I thought you were implying the typo was fixed. :D

Nothing to see here then, sorry to waste posts.
ratkinsonuk
Expert

Post by ratkinsonuk »

So, as far as you can see Harvey, it's always been spelt as 'Syntethic'?

Cheers, Rob.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Yes, it has. Thanks!