Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
RobinPGI
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Robin Matthews

Backup B&R server with Agent?

Post by RobinPGI »

Is there any reason not to install the Veeam Agent onto the B&R server itself to get it to back itself up onto one of my B&R repositories?
I'm thinking stuff like Veeam component conflicts, SQL Server Express version conflicts, future upgrade issues, Veeam best practice?

Reason: I've just moved my B&R VM from my Hyper-V cluster onto a separate non-domain-joined host, but don't have any processor licences for this host. I don't want to put the agent onto the host itself because I have a few other non-critical VMs on there and I don't want to have to restore the whole host in the event of a problem. I have a VUL to cover the agent.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions :)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup B&R server with Agent?

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
I would recommend to store the data on "plain storage", not the VBR repository. Because if you need bare metal recovery, then the recovery environment can only read "direct" agent backups (not those that were written to disk by VBR). Besides of that, your idea works fine.

Best regards,
Hannes
RobinPGI
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Robin Matthews

Post by RobinPGI »

Thanks for the reply! OK, that's not a problem to just write to the disk directly and not via a repository.

FYI, I'm aware that I can "just" install a new B&R server and import the configuration backup and scan the repositories to import the old backups, but in the event that I ever actually have to do this due to a real disaster, the least amount of effort possible would be nice.

What'd be really nice is if B&R included some kind of special licensing functionality to allow you to protect your B&R servers irrespective of where they were running - I was hoping I could use one of my VULs to backup up this VM directly from the host but then found that you can't do that if you have per-socket and VULs in the same licence.

My VULs are the "free" ones I get with the socket licences so I suspect there's no way to split these out into a separate licence? (or is there?)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, there is no way to split built-in FREE VULs. Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

The free agent can do what I suggested. No license needed.