Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
idirim
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: is di

Using Backup Copy Job to get backups from remote repo/vbr system

Post by idirim »

E: vcenter 7.0 u2 (network connection to (A) over network a.b.c.d/24)
A: ws2019 + vbr11 + local repository (network connection to (E) over network a.b.c.d/24 and another direct ethernet connection to (B) over network q.x.y.z/24)
B: ws2019 + vbr11 + local repository (only direct ethernet connection to (A) over network q.x.y.z/24)

hello everyone.

i have a windows server with vbr11 (A) installed which is getting backups from a vsphere system (E) and place them on its own local storage. (to A from E)
i have another windows server with vbr11 (B) installed which i want place backups taken by the former server (A) to its own local storage. (to B from A)

what i want to accomplish is that (B) pulls/take the backups from (A) to its own local storage, not (A) putting them to (B).
so far it is not working, vbr is seeing the backups taken by (A) when i add them as smb share repository or direct attached repository via backup proxy remote agent.
however, when making a backup copy job and adding objects from repositories the job does not recognize the backups in it.

any ideas about why it is not working?

HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Using Backup Copy Job to get backups from remote repo/vbr system

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

The backup copy job can only copy data that is "known" by the backup server. Meaning, its own backup jobs.

Question: what is the idea of having two VBR servers? From what I see, one should be enough that can manage everything.

Best regards,
Hannes
idirim
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: is di

Post by idirim »

ty for your quick reply hannes.

the idea is not about management. the purpose of having (B) with a one-way connection to (A) is if (A) get compromised (B) will still be unreachable.

restoring a vm using the backup files from the remote repository is possible doesn't that mean vbr is able to learn the remote content?
why can't vbr also learn it when using backup copy job? is it a software limitation or a not yet implemented/considered feature?

can you (or someone else) suggest an alternative method to reach my goal?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

with little Linux knowledge, Hardened Repository would also protect your data. It's a WORM / immutable storage for Veeam backups.

For the other scenario I see two options
1) use Veeam NAS backup jobs (costs additional licenses if more than 500GB)
2) use a third party tool (robocopy, whatever you like)

Yes, it's not implemented
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Well, technically there is a workaround, however, you better go with what Hanness has suggested.