Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
sneaking_pete
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Sneaking_Pete

Support for (EMEA) Veeam / Nutanix.

Post by sneaking_pete » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
Am I the only one that is affected by this rather.... call it "discrimination".
Example:
Normal office hours in EET/CET EMEA.
Problem with Veeam/Nutanix.
Create case on web (no phone support available if ticket is not opened through web portal) (this sucks big time, it's like a service that was there when you paid for license/a specific service level, then this service level is reduced but license fee is same).
You release that this is a prio 1, "guano in the fan" scenario.
You get your ticket from the portal, quickly call the support nr. and try to get help for someone in Veeam/AHV department.
Never... Never has this worked.
This is like the Plancks Constant in the universe, you will ALWAYS get put on a hold line... after about 10-15 min the "tier 1" tech tells you that there is no one on the chat to pick your case, and they will put it in some sort of queue. And this usually means that someone emails you back the next day!
I mean what the hell?? (

There is a red text here in the forum web gui to add ticket nr... I only have the latest one from yesterday 05124744, have a fair bit more of them in the inbox, and veeam portal, I can add them here is there is a request for it later)

I had numerous complains about this through "talk to manager".
In the reply they are always nice and courteous, and say that they will try to do their outmost to get this problem fixed etc...
Been about 18 months now (about). And about 5 of these polite replies. (meaning 5 different times complains sent to "talk to manager")

Yesterday patched VBR 10 (latest build) to 11a yesterday... AHV proxy refused to patch... tried to rebuild, connections still refused, so again another prio 1 ticket to Veeam, and had to tell tier1 support that I will not leave the phone until he finds a AHV tech on the line. (he was about to put me on this infamous "chat queue" for someone to pick up the job).
By the way for the rest of you that is about to patch VBR to 11a, you can minimize lots of headache by taking a backup of your working Proxy- take a backup of the configuration (from the WEB GUI). This step is missing from the instructions: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... -checklist

Now... why call this "discrimination"?
It is purely that if I would have been in the same situation (prio 1 job) but with Hyper-V or VMware, there is no problems to get that Prio 1 support.
Here is an quote from wiki about "discrimination":
People may be discriminated on the basis of race, gender, age, religion, or sexual orientation, as well as other categories.
(they did not define "hypervisor" on wiki, but my point is still valid).

This is my first post on this forum, just as I do not know how else to get this problem more "out there".
Have a good day.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Support for (EMEA) Veeam / Nutanix.

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
first of all: sorry if you had bad experience with Veeam AHV support.

I just checked case 05124744 and as far as I see it was opened with severity 2 at 13:30.

3min later, screenshots were attached, but log files are missing.

General note: support can help faster if log files are attached. Waiting for someone to dial in and then export / read logs is usually slower than waiting for (at least partly) automated log file analysis by support. That's by the way, the main reason why we require opening a ticket via web interface first. Logs are needed for faster solution of a problem.

at 14:10 (40min), the first answer came in and the severity was increased by support to 1 (according to the case notes, that looks like a call to me)

At 16:03, I see a summary that the remote session was finished and the proxy was connected successful again.

So for me it seems we are within the SLAs and a solution (except for the backup copy job, which came up later) was provided within 2.5h. The SLAs are "response times". Not "solution times". Because nobody can guarantee a "solution time".

Best regards,
Hannes
sneaking_pete
Novice

Post by sneaking_pete » 1 person likes this post

Hi Hannes.
Thanks for your quick reply.
As I stated in my post - I would have been put in this chat queue if I did not refuse to hangup the call for Tier 1 operator.
Logs files was missing as the proxy did not have network, not possible with my knowledge to get logs out without network. This was evident in the provided screenshots that there are issues with proxy. So I assumed this would be a good starting point to get support.

Did you want to have the rest of the "talk to manager" tickets, to further proof this point of "discrimination"/bad support service, I have them in the inbox. But as I can see that you seem to have access to my/our ticket systems, you can as easily find them there then. Again just to proof the point of bad support service with Veeam/Nuntanix (or is it just me, that's why to post on this forum).
Sneaking_Pete
sneaking_pete
Novice

Post by sneaking_pete »

(I did find some of the old tickets about same problems: 04340057,04202762 - there might be more, but I do not know then how many should be enough to prove the point.)

Hannes, again I'm offering you to test this yourself.
You can use our account ID and call "Veeam Support" (after you created the ticket on the web) normal office hours CET/EET zones, and see how many times you would be met by the SLA if prio 1 incident. Hannes you just seem to have just focused that this time around Veeam could meet the SLA. I learnt to refuse to hangup the call when prio 1 incident from my previous tickets, even if this was the first suggestion from the tech that got the call as he could not find anyone to pickup the job.
Try and see the broader picture. I challenge you to call Veeam Support, claim you have Prio 1 case, and need urgent help.
Good luck and weekend.
tedsteenvoorden
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by tedsteenvoorden »

Hi Pete, a little bit off-topic, but how did you fix the AHV Proxy upgrade?
Did you remove and installed a new AHV Proxy and imported the configuration file? I am also having upgrade troubles, where the upgrades breaks on the Proxy OS upgrade.

Regards,
Ted
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

I am also having upgrade troubles, where the upgrades breaks on the Proxy OS upgrade.
Try that, there is a known issue:
https://www.veeam.com/kb4237

If it‘s not helping, please open a support case.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
sneaking_pete
Novice

Post by sneaking_pete »

tedsteenvoorden wrote: Nov 12, 2021 12:31 pm Hi Pete, a little bit off-topic, but how did you fix the AHV Proxy upgrade?
Did you remove and installed a new AHV Proxy and imported the configuration file? I am also having upgrade troubles, where the upgrades breaks on the Proxy OS upgrade.

Regards,
Ted
Hi Ted.
Yes, indeed, the proxy update did not go to well. We ended up deploying new proxy with the Veeam Tech support (three times, there was other failures along the deployment process), delete the old proxy.
But... as stated before, you can save lots of trouble if you backup the config files first from the working proxy. As the new proxy will not have any information about what jobs it was supposed to do. (if you know what I mean...) Think this section was missing from otherwise good documentations.

A few days in to the new version, I do not really see much difference when it comes to backupping AHV.
Same speed, same reliability, Nutanix Files is still backed up with SMB share (no internal API). :(
Good luck.
Regards Sneaking_Pete
sneaking_pete
Novice

Post by sneaking_pete »

To Mildur and Hannes.
There is further proof also if you read the posts from May 2021 "Veeam Nutanix AHV backup woes" - specific focus on section 5.
Slow support if your on Nutanix AHV...

This is not "false news" guys, this is terrible.

Veeam staff here is redirecting focus on different "side topics" within the posts, and not focusing on the main point.

Veeam Support (with same license "Enterprise Plus") is not equal across hypervisors!!!
https://imgflip.com/i/5ucb8z
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

I am not veeam staff, only trying to help to find a solution.
We are a customer and partner of veeam and are using Nutanix by ourself. While it‘s true that support is not always the same as vmware or hyperv, it is not that bad that I would make a comparison with a wiki post about discrimination. We had good and bad experiences. Mostly good ones.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Jeff L

Post by Jeff L »

sneaking_pete wrote: Nov 11, 2021 8:48 am Hi,
Am I the only one that is affected by this rather.... call it "discrimination".
Absolutely not. We have suffered with this ever since moving from Hyper-V to AHV. (3+ years)
Support, along with the product itself, has become so poor, that Veeam was on our internal risk register.

We've just completed a move to a different backup vendor.