Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 118 times

manage tape

Post by matteu »

Hello,

I start to learn tape and I need to implement it for one customer.
The needs is to use it only to weekly / or monthly.

1 weekly or / monthly for backup to tape (vmware job).

What I think to do :

-Install physical server with 1 library and 2 drives
-Upgrade firmware
-Install library + drives drivers on windows
-Install tape server role
-Inventory all my tapes (new tapes)
-Create GFS media pool with automatically add tapes on it and select 4 week + 12 month + 5 years for retention
-Create weekly media vault + monthly media vault + yearly media vault (and select move all offline tapes into the following media vault)
-Enable parallel processing for 2 tape drives and for backup chains withing a single tape job
-On the veeam library I select perform drive cleaning automatically (it's disable on my management library interface)

Then, When my tape to job will run, it will "buld" synthetic full to write it to my tape right ?

Thank you for your advices :)
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: manage tape

Post by soncscy »

Hey matteu,

Check the user guide here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

If there's a full backup produced by the source job as the most recent point, the full will be copied "as is".
If there's an incremental backup produced by the source job as the most recent point, a Virtual Synthetic Full will be produced directly on the tape.

As I've seen it with clients (and reported here), the Virtual Synthetic Full is best option for moving fulls to tape since there were some speed improvements in v10 on this front, but if your source repository is fast enough, the tape drive will always be the bottleneck.

Everything looks good on the above!
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 118 times

Re: manage tape

Post by matteu »

Hello :)

Thank you very much for your answer :)