Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
peeky1323
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matt Peek

Options for archive to AWS

Post by peeky1323 »

Hi All,

We have a customer with a few VMs on Hyper-V some of which are producing 5+TB backup file size. They have enough local storage for 30 days on a Direct Attached Windows volume stand-alone repository. They have a requirement to take a backup every 6 months and store this on AWS Glacier for years. I can't see a way to do this using a SOBR capacity tier due to them only having enough storage for 1 month locally. Is there a clean way to do this? My idea was:

Convince them to buy some more storage and create a new SOBR, 1 local extent, 1 AWS immutable capacity extent with copy offload just for this purpose. Run a Full backup job every 6 months with 1 restore point so they will only have 1 copy locally, and the AWS versions will stay there forever. Even a manual copy of the VKB every 6 months won't work due to the size of their backup files exceeding the 5TB limit with AWS.

Thanks in advance.
Matt Peek
VMCE 2021
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Options for archive to AWS

Post by veremin »

Be aware that in order to archive restore points to AWS S3 Glacier, you will also need to add Archive Tier to Scale-Out Backup Repository, having only Capacity Tier will not be enough.

As to the potential configuration, you can think about:

- enabling GFS retention in the source job
- adding Capacity Tier
- configuring move policy for Capacity Tier with the restore operation window being longer than 30 days
- adding Archive Tier
- configuring archive window equal to 0 days

This should be pretty close to what you are looking for.

Thanks!
peeky1323
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matt Peek

Post by peeky1323 »

thank you. So I see the customer has an Enterprise license. Am I right in thinking the Archive tier is only available in Ent Plus?
Matt Peek
VMCE 2021
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Yes. thats correct. You need Ent Plus for the SOBR Archive Tier.

Feature Comparison
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Or migrate them to VUL offering (effectively ENT+) and get access to the entire feature set. It might be worth reaching out to the sales representative and discussing potential strategies. Thanks!