Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
spider32
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alexander Martinez

VMs in Datalab has no vNIC

Post by spider32 »

When using Datalab and bringing up VMs using replicated NetApp volumes, the VMs come up with no vNIC attached.

This scenario works when using NetApp Storage Snaps but when it gets replicated it does not. Datalab creates the port groups where the VMs are attached so wondering why the VMs come up without any vNIC. Setting up the Datalab at the DR site to be used by Veeam's DRO.

Thanks,

Case #05093075
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: VMs in Datalab has no vNIC

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
that sounds a bug to me. To fix it, I can only recommend to continue working with support.

As far as I see, it has nothing to do with Veeam Orchestrator, right? It's just plain VBR (telling support to forget about Veeam Orchestrator can simplify the case).

Best regards,
Hannes
spider32
Enthusiast

Post by spider32 »

Yes, it has noting to do with the Orchestrator. And also I mentioned to support that it is just Datalab for now.

VMs that have been backed up come up are ok, those that got storage replicated or through Veeam Replication job come up without vNICs attached.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Alexander, this looks like an issue that was addressed in v11a (information about NIC adapters for VMs on such snapshots was not properly collected during rescan). Please work with support to confirm it is the issue you're seeing (you may refer to issue #293318).
spider32
Enthusiast

Post by spider32 »

I will check issue #293318.

Per support, this is how replication works. Since our DR has a different network configuration, when a replicated VM comes up, its vNIC config is dropped. Looks like it doesn't matter if the VM is being brought up inside the Datalab. Let me know if I am understanding this correctly. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Not sure we're talking about the same functionality. Do you mean replication jobs or NetApp storage volumes replication? For the former, there's the Re-IP option in the job settings, for the latter - there's the issue I mentioned above.
spider32
Enthusiast

Post by spider32 »

It's NetApp storage replication. We are still on v11. Thanks and will take note of issue #293318.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

In this case, I recommend letting support confirm the issue and applying the v11a update. Thanks!