Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Full Backup Every TWO Weeks

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

Hello,
First here is the background: I have a physical file server being backed up by a physical Veeam server. It has a LOT of content. I currently run incrementals M - Th and a full on Friday night. The full has typically run from Friday night through sometime Monday afternoon. Now it is spilling over to Monday night, interrupting one of the incrementals. I would like to partly alleviate that by just doing a full backup once every TWO weeks, but I don't see a straightforward option for that in the job properties. Any ideas?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Full Backup Every TWO Weeks

Post by Gostev »

Hello! It's not possible with the built-in scheduler. But I also don't see how it is a solution as the backup will still be spilling over to Monday night? So it sounds like a half-measure anyway, as opposed to being a real solution. I personally would look at what is the bottleneck, and fix that instead. As honestly, 3 days is insanely long for a single server. Thanks!
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Re: Full Backup Every TWO Weeks

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

Yes the full backup file currently is 7.13TB. Backup job runs over a 1GB network. Bottleneck in the Veeam B&R console always shows as network, not surprisingly. Any recommendations to improve speed? The Veeam server (running W2K16 Standard) does nothing but backup the file server, plus two PCs that act as app servers (full backups just take a few hours on these). We also run Backup Copy jobs to a server at our main headquarters. We have another Veeam/file server setup at another location that is similar that takes about the same amount of time.

You are right that the full backup would still spill over onto Monday if we ran it every two weeks, but my thought it disrupting one incremental vs. two is better. Can I submit this as a feature request? It would be nice just for flexibility in various circumstances.