Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aguia
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Adel Guia

v6 backing up and replicating a VM simultaneous

Post by aguia »

Is posible do a backup and replicate simultaneously the same VM ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: v6 backing up and replicating a VM simultaneous

Post by foggy »

Adel, yes, v6 allows parallel backup and replication scheduling of the same VM by different jobs. The job that came later will automatically skip the VM being backed up by another job and retry it when it is available for backup (instead of failing out, as this used to be the case with the previous versions). Thanks!
Doug.Butler
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Douglas J. Butler

Post by Doug.Butler »

What if you're running a "near-CDP" (continuous) Replication job? Is there any way in V5 or in V6 for the jobs to be arranged so that replication can be set to 'continuous' yet still allow the backup job (scheduled) to capture a backup of the VM once in a while?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Doug, this also applies to the continuous replication in v6. The scheduled backup job will wait until the replication job finishes its regular cycle and will do its work then. After that the replication will continue normally.

Moreover, you can use the Backup window setting also available on the Schedule step of the job wizard to specify the time frame for the job when it is not allowed to run. If the job does not complete within the allowed backup window, it will be automatically stopped and continue at the next allowed time frame.
egroeg
Enthusiast
Full Name: George Kenny

Version 6 updates (multiple Veeam Servers)

Post by egroeg »

[merged]

I have a network that we're due to upgrade from Veeam Version 5 to Version 6 and move from VMWARE ESX 4.1 to ESXi 5.

One of the problems we had on our previous scenario was running simultaneous backup and replication tasks.

I now hear on the grapevine that version 6 uses Veeam proxy servers so with 1 licence, you can run two separate tasks (ie: I plan to run a regular replication job for all VMS whilst also running a periodic backup task).

Can someone confirm this for me and also alert me of any pitfalls or gotchas' during such an installation?

Is there an upgrade path or best to simply conduct a fresh install of version 6.

Regards
Egro.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

George, please read through this topic for answers.

Also, you can find the upgrade procedure in the release notes document included with your download and get some details from the sticky FAQ topic. Thanks!
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Replica job behavior

Post by lobo519 »

[merged]

If I have 2 VMs in a replica job and VM-1 is currently being backed up in a backup job. Will it skip VM-1 and run VM-2?

If so will it continue this cycle until VM-1 is done in the backup job?
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

I don't think the information here quite answers my question. Your response is appreciated.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

foggy wrote:Adel, yes, v6 allows parallel backup and replication scheduling of the same VM by different jobs. The job that came later will automatically skip the VM being backed up by another job and retry it when it is available for backup (instead of failing out, as this used to be the case with the previous versions). Thanks!
Doesn't this answer your questions?
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

So the job will wait for the VM to become available and it will not run again until it is? Is there a time out? I am trying to avoid one VM in a replication job from stopping the others from continuing to replicate.

Does that make sense?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Then you need a job per VM for replication.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

tsightler wrote:Then you need a job per VM for replication.
thank you!
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

It does skip any VMs that it can't access and continues to process the other VMs. However, the job itself will not finish until all the VMs are done OR the timeout hits. I **believe** that the timeout is 12 hours.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

averylarry wrote:It does skip any VMs that it can't access and continues to process the other VMs. However, the job itself will not finish until all the VMs are done OR the timeout hits. I **believe** that the timeout is 12 hours.
Thank you for confirming - this is the response I was looking for. :D
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

In my job logs, I do see the timeout as 12 hours. Further, it's 12 hours of waiting, not 12 hours of job running. So if you have 5 hours of replications running, it'll wait 12 hours after that before the timeout fails the job.
varrus999
Influencer
Full Name: Mike Veneziale

Backup with replicaton

Post by varrus999 »

[merged]

I have a set of VMs with a low RPO, I may use replication in continuous mode for them.

Currently I am backing up these VMs daily with 14 rollbacks on disk - so I can go back two weeks to restore data if necessary.

Can I create a continuous repilcaton job and keep the backup job, or wil these two trip over each other?
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Re: Backup with replicaton

Post by homerjnick »

One job will wait for the other to finish so timing will be your key...
dschrader@iu17.org
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Daniel Schrader

New Implementation, How to properly implement Veeam

Post by dschrader@iu17.org » 1 person likes this post

[merged]

Hi Guys,

Setup
Two sites (Production and Disaster Recovery data centers in VMware)
25 VM's at the Production site
Veeam running at the Disaster Recovery site (slow link 100mbit)
We have two EqualLogic SANs capable of replication but opting to use Veeam's replication because of the fail-over and fail-back

Issues
Replication and backups are conflicting
We'd like to have many restore points throughout the day while keeping the replicated data as up to date as possible

Is there a way in Veeam to have 2 different jobs backing up the same VM at the same time? The reason I ask this is because I would like to do backup and replication at the same time on some of our critical VMs.

If this is not possible, would it be possible to implement a way to have the job check to see if there is another job that is backing up the VM at that time? If it is backing it up would it be possible to just move that VM to the bottom of the job and run it at a different time instead of just failing to back that VM up until the retry?

Thanks,
Dan
cstemaly
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

[MERGED] Veeam Replication: Replication/Backup job overlap

Post by cstemaly »

I'm working on getting offsite replication up and running (on VMware). I've successfully implemented things in my lab, but I'm wondering a couple of things:

Let's say I'm replicating a VM every two hours. Veeam makes a snapshot of the production VM and is replicating changes (using CBT) to my DR. While this is happening, it's time for my regularly scheduled Veeam backup, which tries to make a snapshot of this VM. Will this cause issues? If so, is there a way to tell Veeam not to replicate a VM while a backup job is running?

Our most important servers are Exchange and MS SQL VMs. Are there any resources out there that you guys know about regarding things I should be prepared to address when performing failover/failback on these types of servers?