Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MSweetman
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mark Sweetman

Feature Request: Backup Copy Job Enhancement

Post by MSweetman »

Hi Team,
As an MSP, we run a large number of backup jobs of customer systems every day. Many of these jobs have a backup frequency of hourly and a retention of >160 to facilitate keeping 7 days of hourly backups. These backups reside on a high speed disk system.
We have run a large number of backup copy jobs to provide GFS retention of 30D+4W+12M retentions. These "archives" reside on dedupe appliances. The jobs are scheduled to run 1 a day.
The issue we find is that sometimes individual backup copy/archive jobs can take 30>90 hours to complete due to the data sizes.

Could we have the ability to disable a running Backup Copy job. Currently if you disable it will kill the job which is not a good thing!
The Disable button works great for Backup jobs and Replication jobs even if they are running. These jobs just change to <disabled> state and continue to the finish.

I presume the "Disable" works differently as the Backup Copy jobs are <continuous> which is why when you try and "Disable" a Backup Copy job it throws the "inconsistant.....do you want to stop anyway" message.

Surely there is a way to Disable the Backup Copy job so that it allows the current job complete and does not run at the next interval. This would bring these jobs into line with Backup and Replication jobs.

Why is this important.... we have to continually wait (sometimes days) for these jobs to complete to allow changes in the systems, either for patching, updating, hardware expansions etc. of the backup platforms.

Thank you .....Mark
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request: Backup Copy Job Enhancement

Post by foggy »

Hi Mark, thanks for the feedback. Indeed, unlike backup and replication, backup copy jobs cannot be stopped gracefully.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

[MERGED] Feature request - Copy job disable option

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

We have some clients with very large data sets. Sometimes, I need to do maintenance but don't wish to prematurely terminate the copy job. Currently, when I attempt to disable a running copy job, I get the usual "Backup Copy files for xyz job will be left in the inconsistent state. Stop the job anyway?" I would like to have the ability to disable the job "before next run". For example, instead of saying "Stop the job anyway?" it would ask, "Stop the job now or before next run?" and there would be buttons reflecting my choice etc.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request: Backup Copy Job Enhancement

Post by foggy »

Hi James, thanks for the request. Merging it with another similar one to track the demand. I believe the ability to temporarily disable the job would also address your concern.