Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
sandroalves
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sandro da Silva Alves

What is the best option?

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

I need to backup LOGs and BAK files created by SQL.

Some people might say: "Because instead of backing up the LOGs or BAK, it makes the SQL itself because Veeam has the ability to protect the bases using the SQL Writer.

We know this is possible, but it is the customer's option to use this strategy of securing the LOGs and BAK separately.

We know that these types of files deduplicate very little because they are always new or nothing, and this is also true for the compression rate because SQL already compresses when generating them.

Should I backup using file share or is it better using the agent to go get these files inside the server volume?

Thanks.
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: What is the best option?

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi,

from a Veeam standpoint you can do both, using the NAS backup is as valid as using an Agent inside a server to collect this data.
I would prefer using the Agent as this will avoid SMB traffic and the need to deal with Files Shares etc.
But as said we can do both and it is up to you to decide what you want to use.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
sandroalves
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sandro da Silva Alves

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

I also wanted to use the agent, but I thought about the cost of using the hardware that it will generate in the operating system during execution, but using the file share as you said, my cost will be for the network.

I thought there would be some gain in using the agent, such as (deduplication/compression) being performed on the agent before the transfer, thus saving the backup process. Different when doing with file share that usually doesn't have so much gain.

Am I right or wrong in conceptual understanding?

Thanks.
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan »

Yes those would be benefits but as you already mentioned before, the dedup/compression rate on DB dumps will not be as good.
You can also try both and see what works better for you as with the Veeam Universal License you are free to choose what ways is best.
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA